Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Odd Slowdown Suddenly Affecting Computer

• Please log in to reply

Tylinos

Tylinos

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
A few nights ago, some videos I was watching suddenly started stuttering in playback. I quickly noticed that it wasn't some odd loading problem or something like that, because not only would any video start doing this, but the computer in general was now experiencing at times some major slowdown that had not been happening before.

When doing anything that was memory intensive, such as opening a large file on the computer, programs would slow down by quite a bit, and the mouse cursor would become very stuttery and skips a lot of movement frames. None of this had been happening before a few days ago, but I don't really know what could have caused it. A post on the Malware Removal board has pretty much removed malware as a possibility, but I can't really think of much else myself.

As for some other details, I noticed something very odd when checking Windows Task Manager. When doing much more than idling or just typing, something weird happens where the currently used CPU percent becomes higher than it should be. For example, if System Idle Processes was at 80, the current CPU usage would say something like 44%, when it should be around 20%, and the currently used CPU for other processes would total around the 20% instead of the 44% it said was in use, if that makes sense.

Anyway, when the "unaccounted-for" amount of CPU percent gets high, that's when the slowdown happens. It could be something like slowdown happening with 50% CPU currently used with only 10% of that accounted for, but little or no slowdown if it's at 95% used with nearly all of it accounted for.

It's getting really annoying to deal with, since I have to avoid doing things that are usually pretty normal on this computer, and I'd really appreciate any help someone can give me.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,770 posts
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it;
A laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard and any
add on card details would also help others to help you better.

Tylinos

Tylinos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
It's a Compaq Presario V5000 laptop, but I'm not sure how to find out what kind of motherboard I have.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,770 posts
Download and run this http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/
A FYI! http://h10010.www1.h...ct=499880#N1035

Edited by phillpower2, 26 August 2010 - 02:02 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,770 posts
Couple of suggestions for you, 1st off tidy up your HDD using the info below;
1: Download and run Autoruns from here http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx
Delete anything that says "File Not Found".
2: Download and run TFC by OldTimer from here http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187
If your laptop does not reboot automatically on completion do it manually.
If the above does not improve things download and run Memtest86+ from here http://www.memtest.org/
Do between 5 and 8 passes (this will take some time to complete so make sure you have time).
Have you ever cleaned out the inside of your laptop? See the video at the attached link and
you will see why I am asking
Hopefully one of the above will get things sorted out and please let us know how it goes,good luck.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Download and run this http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/
A FYI! http://h10010.www1.h...ct=499880#N1035

Can I add something here. There are a few steps missed.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As far as Autoruns there is more to it Phill and I don't mean to overstep you here but only to help.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,770 posts
Thank you for highlighting my omissions rshaffer61 and for assisting where I slipped up :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Thank you for highlighting my omissions rshaffer61 and for assisting where I slipped up :)

:) Anytime and thats why we're here to assist if you need it. :) :)

Tylinos

Tylinos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Alright, I did what was asked with Everest Home and AutoRuns. I haven't used Memtest86+ yet, but I'll get to it after this post. Below is the Everest Home Quick Report Summary, as requested, and both the Everest Sensor screenshot and AutoRuns log are attached. Also, I didn't see any entries marked "File Not Found" in AutoRuns, but I might have overlooked them by accident.

EDIT: The screenshot attachment isn't working, so here's a link to it:

http://img828.images...r27august20.png

EDIT 2: Actually, I have no idea how to run Memtest86+, and the page doesn't seem to help with that. Can anyone let me know?

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer TYLERTHOMAS (Tyler's Computer)
Generator Tyler Thomas
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2010-08-27
Time 06:04

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name TYLERTHOMAS (Tyler's Computer)
User Name Tyler Thomas

Motherboard:
CPU Type Mobile AMD Turion 64 ML-32, 1800 MHz (9 x 200)
Motherboard Name Hewlett-Packard Presario V5000 (ET828UA#ABA)
Motherboard Chipset ATI Radeon Xpress 200M, AMD Hammer
System Memory 896 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (02/24/06)

Display:
Video Adapter ATI MOBILITY RADEON Xpress 200 Series (128 MB)
Video Adapter ATI MOBILITY RADEON Xpress 200 Series (128 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon Xpress 200M (RS480M)
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Generic Television

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter ATI SB400 - AC'97 Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Disk Drive ST980829A (74 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N
SMART Hard Disks Status FAIL

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 68723 MB (4760 MB free)
D: (FAT32) 7570 MB (1021 MB free)
Total Size 76293 MB (5781 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Quick Launch Buttons
Mouse HID-compliant mouse
Mouse Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

Network:
Network Adapter Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN (192.168.0.102)
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Modem AC97 Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

Peripherals:
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
USB1 Controller ATI SB400 - USB Controller
USB1 Controller ATI SB400 - USB Controller
USB2 Controller ATI SB400 - USB 2.0 Controller
USB Device Generic USB Hub
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
Battery Microsoft AC Adapter
Battery Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

Problems & Suggestions:
Problem Disk free space is only 7% on drive C:.

Attached Files

Edited by Tylinos, 27 August 2010 - 04:27 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "QuickTime Task"
+ "RealTray"
+ "AIM"
+ "AOL Fast Start"
+ "DAEMON Tools Pro Agent"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Tylinos

Tylinos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Well, even assuming the possibility my computer has more than one RAM stick (Is there a way to check for that through a program or something?), how would I go about with option A? Would I have to open the computer up and manually remove one? I can do this for a desktop tower, but I have absolutely no experience for it with a laptop, which this is.

EDIT: Looking back at AutoRuns to uncheck the mentioned things, I finally found the File Not Found things. (Checking Google on some of them in curiosity said most or all of them are Rootkit names, so they were probably from an old set of infections this had last year. One was a video codec, though, LCODCCMP.DLL) Problem, though, is that one of them won't delete. For mbr.sys, a message just says "Error deleting start setting: The specified service does not exist as an installed service." Any way to remove it?

Edited by Tylinos, 27 August 2010 - 06:11 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
System Memory 896 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
C: (NTFS) 68723 MB (4760 MB free)

Now that I listed memory and hard drive space.
Go to either of the following sites and they should tell you what is installed.
List (or screenshot) of what is shown.
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Go to HERE and run the 4All online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

I am more concerned that you only have 4.7gb of free hard drive space. That alone will create a lot of issues.
We need to get that resolved.

I will leave the autoruns to Rshaffer61.

EDIT: Fixed the 4AllMemory link

Edited by 123Runner, 27 August 2010 - 06:42 AM.

Tylinos

Tylinos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Alright, I scanned it, and it seems I have two 512 MB memory sticks. So, again, how would I go about with option A? Would I have to open the computer up and manually remove one? I can do this for a desktop tower, but I have absolutely no experience for it with a laptop, which this is.

Also, still wondering about the other question in my last post about the thing in AutoRuns.