Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Please Help Me

• Please log in to reply

Cwb317

Cwb317

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok so i bought an acer aspire 5551 a week ago. i brought it home and did the set up. It has windows 7. when i tried to get wifi it wouldnt connect at all to my network but a way older dell laptop works just fine througout my house.The new acer laptop works but only in the room of the router and for twenty mins (maybe) after i leave the room. I dont understand what to do. i have called acer and comcast and linksys and even microsoft,they all want money and im broke, and i just bought the computer if yiou could help me please i need this computer to accsess my online college course

Thank you

Edited by Cwb317, 26 August 2010 - 03:11 PM.

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Hi,

I'll be glad to help. However, I'm slightly confused. You say:

when i tried to get wifi it wouldnt connect at all to my network but a way older dell laptop works just fine. It works but only in the room of the router and for twenty mins (maybe) after i leave the room.

Now do you mean your old laptop works only in the room with the router and your new laptop doesn't connect at all or are you saying your old laptop connects fine everywhere and you new laptop only can connect in the room with router in. Please clarify and I will try to help.

Cwb317

Cwb317

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
my new laptop only works in the room with the router sorry

Edited by Cwb317, 26 August 2010 - 03:06 PM.

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
What happens when you take your laptop out of the room. Does the wireless signal drop? (The wireless icon will change to have less bars). Try to see what signal strength you have in the room with router then move laptop elsewhere and see if the signal strength changes at all. Click the icon in the bottom right of your screen and then hover over your connection and it will tell you your signal strength. Please reply with findings. Eg. see belowSignal Strength.jpg

Edited by hendaz, 26 August 2010 - 04:42 PM.

Cwb317

Cwb317

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
WHen i leave the room i loose maybe one bar and the signal strength is excellent. But 20 mins after leaving the room it looses connection all together but notices my linksys router but wont connect.

Cwb317

Cwb317

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
another thing if i stay in the room it will stay connect for as long as i am in the room. When i leave the room it stays for a while but if i let it sit it will disconnect from my network. The old dell laptop connects fine anywhere and will stay on for as long as i need. When i call comcast and linksys about the new computer they say it is something in the software settings and not in the hardware so they cant help me.i am usually good at fixing these things but windows seven is new to me. I dont understand why the range is only off for the newer computer.

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Your problem is a strange one but like you said it must be something related to some settings on your laptop since your old laptop works fine. However, it is hard for me to say what it could be since I can't see your laptop. I'll see what I can think of off the top of my head.....

One thing I can think of is that Windows 7 seems to come pre-set with somewhat restrictive power settings to ensure your laptop doesn't waste any unnecessary battery power. This ensures your laptop doesn't waste battery power on unnecessary things when it is not in use and therefore increase the time of your battery. This is only a wild guess but maybe your power options are set to turn off your wireless adaptor after a period of inactivity? To see if this is the case complete the following steps....

1. Click Start, type Power Options in the Start Search box, and then click Power Options in the Programs list. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
2. Click Change plan settings under the power plan that is selected. For example, if the Balanced option is selected, click Change plan settings under Balanced.
3. Click Change advanced power settings.
4. In the Power Options dialog box, expand Wireless Adapter Settings, and then expand Power Saving Mode.
5. In the list that appears next to On battery, click Maximum Performance, and then click OK.

Cwb317

Cwb317

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thank you for helping, i tried and is the same thing. I dont think that is the problem I can use the internet for a while after i go into the room, connect, and leave, but after the connection drops i cant connect until after i go back into the room with the router. it only gives me troubleshooting options that i have tried over and over and nothing. it still shows my router with full connection but if i leave the room the router is in i just cant connnect idk if that is any more help please let mme kno

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
In that case your problem is more than likely some kind of interference. Newer laptops can sometimes be more "sensitive" than older laptops and so even though your old laptop works fine you new laptop may be affected. Just wondering if you have any cordless telephones in the rooms you lose connection or if there are other wireless networks in your area? I recommend you download a program called Inssider. What this will do is scan your area for wireless networks. From here you want to look at a column called channel. If you can reply with what channel your using and what everyone else is using. From here I will be able to work out if some other network is causing you problems and tell you what channel may be more appropriate.

This software is available from here: http://www.metageek....oducts/inssider

Thanks,

Cwb317

Cwb317

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok my girlfriend go the same exact computer and came to my house and it connected just fine from anywhere in my house, she got it from the same place and everything so idk if it is a setting that i need to change or what

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
To be honest I can't think of any setting that would cause this directly. Since you have tried another laptop you can be sure that it is your laptop but unless I understand what is happening exactly I couldn't say what the cause is. What I would like you to do is the following:

When your laptop can connect:

Go to start -> type cmd in the search box at the bottom (or click 'run' if using win. XP) -> hit enter ->type ipconfig /all -> print screen the full output -> paste it into paint or something -> save it and upload it.

Take note of the default gateway address and when your laptop is not connected do the following:

Open up a command prompt the same way as you did before (Go to start -> type cmd in the search box at the bottom (or click 'run' if using win. XP) -> hit enter) then type ping followed by the address of your default gateway it should look something like ping 192.168.1.1 but with your default gateway.

Then also repeat the first test in the disconnected state ie ipconfig /all.

Please upload the three print screens and I'll see what I can suggest.