Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Motherboard Installation. Help!

• Please log in to reply

JBrown287

JBrown287

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I swapped out my Asus P5N-D with another from the manufacturer. After installing it I connected the 4-pin connector (right beside the cpu), the POWER SW cable, and the 24-pin connector and am still getting no power or response when hitting the power button. My motherboard's green light is on and indicating that it is getting power, but what am I doing wrong? Help!

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Did you connect the front panel power connector to the motherboard? Otherwise the power button won't be connected to anything.

JBrown287

JBrown287

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
There is a thick gray cable that is bundles with the HDD_LED and POWER SW cables that is connected to an adapter that is labeled AC'97/HD Audio, but that is the only other cable I see that is bundled with those. What does the cable you're referring to look like? I assumed the POWER SW cable was the only thing that effected the power button

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Yes, you are correct - sorry my browser didn't display your post correctly and I missed the bit that said you connected the POWER SW. The other cable sounds like the front audio connector. It seems the right cables are connected. If your motherboard is definitely getting the right power then I would just double check all the connectors esp. check the POWER SW cable is connected properly.

JBrown287

JBrown287

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So if the 24-pin power, 4-pin power, and POWER SW are all connected properly and still not powering on, then what would the problem be? I'm stumped myself here.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
The front header block is bottom right on the Mobo, there should be a diagram in the motherboard manual. Make sure to connect to the power switch and Not the power led. In that bundle of cables there will also be a reset plug, they can connect any way round BUT, the hard drive activity led, system power led and system speaker plugs go on with the + posative wire goes to the + pin one.

If no luck, post back.