Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

possible adware /virus

• Please log in to reply

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
hello everyone
thank you in advance to all who offer help to those of us less knowlwdgable about our computers

ok problem started with a code 1706 every time i tried to search something from start menu
btw using a compaq presario running windows xp serice pack 3
so i would close this error then another search settings v1.2.3 would appear then runtime error 440 would appear
i tried running suggested programs in your malware section ran tfc , then erunt then comp would not let me run malwarebytes
tried changing file name for mbam and still cant run malware bytes after several restarts parts of mcaffee are disabled as well as avast antivirus i ran hijack this last night and got and saved a report (log) but now i cannot get online with my desktop to post it here or to send to anyone for reveiw and help i am currently using my laptop to post this
any help would be greatly appreciated
thank you for reading this
edited to add
now it is running mcaffee backup and restore
i dont know if this is good or bad as it is not really doing much but it shows 2 files in red and then says 203 files archived 0 bytes /not archived 270.1 mb
as you have probably figured out by now i am not very computer savy
sorry

Edited by snowysdad43, 26 August 2010 - 05:14 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Start a topic in the malware forum and put in your first post the exact what you put here.
If you can copy the logs to a flash drive or cdrw then post them with your initial post there that will help.