Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Boot System problem.

• Please log in to reply

Ste

Ste

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
I have been having a lot of trouble with my system lately after a freeze up. First of all I would like to know if anyone can tell me why my processor (specs below) should be showing in ‘My Computer’/ ‘Properties’ as 1.61GHz. rather than 3.4GHz?

I suspect it is something in the BIOS settings but don’t really know where to look. All four processors are operative. Changes I have made to the BIOS are to set the memory controller to get the 1600MHz rating (X8). It has run like this without any problems for some months. Another change I have just made in order to attempt to solve the problem of freezing is to align the Memory Clock settings (X8) to give 1600MHz. I did not do this previously but it seemed logical and has had no negative affect as yet. Should this go back to ‘Auto’?

My system is dual boot (Win7 & Win XP), when the system freezes which it first did when playing an online game it will not boot as the order of drive priority changes to the wrong drive and sometimes the one needed does not show in the BIOS at all until I turn off the system rather than restart. It then re-apprears and I can correct the boot order and choose the OS to boot from.

I am at the point of re-installing XP on the problem drive but hope to save time by finding out what needs correcting. I forgot to mention that initially I repaired the XP boot sector (Fixboot) and then repaired the Win7 too as it did not show as a boot option after the XP repair.
Is there another correction I need to make in the Repair mode with the XP drive? Hoping someone can help, thanks.

G.Card- 2GB XFX nVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 SLI 1GB HD Graphics Card
M.Board-Gygabyte- GA-MA-790XT-UD4P
CPU-PHENOM II X4 965 3.4GHZ BLACK ed.
Memory- 4GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz NQ Series (9-9-9-24) Dual Channel kit

Advertisements