Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No internet connection, what info do I need to give to diagnose?

• Please log in to reply

blissinabox

blissinabox

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My Mum's internet has been down for 2 days now and naturally she can't go online to look for solutions so I'm going to ask if anyone can tell me what information from her computer I'd need to give you to help us resolve this issue, she has twice contacted her internet provider and gone through the rebooting of her wifi / lan hardware, checking the connections etc, and they can't resolve it, I went down and her D-link is lit up indicating it is connected to the internet, and when you open network connections in xp it shows that there are bytes being down and uploaded but when she opens IE (she has no other browsers installed) it says it can't connect.

So what else can I check or do to try and diagnose the problem, she has masses of security programmes installed, is firewalled etc, and there have been no software installations or downloads prior to losing the net, so I don't think its a virus, though she has Uniblue installed and it says 5 registry entries have been altered or some such thing, which it apparently dealt with but I wondered if this may have knocked out something?

Anyway, I'm happy to give anyone that can help whatever info from her computer that will help resolve this, if you'll just let me know what I can tell you, it's my Mum so I don't want to let her down, please help!

Thank You,
Belinda

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
A screenshot of the ip configuration would be handy. Please do the following:

Go to start -> type cmd in the search box at the bottom (or click 'run' if using win. XP) -> hit enter ->type ipconfig /all -> print screen the full output -> paste it into paint or something -> save it and upload it. I will then try to work out what is happening.

Your screenshot should look something like this:

Windows XP Professional-2010-08-22-11-27-04.png

blissinabox

blissinabox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you so much for replying, soon as I read your post I sms'd my Mum to say I was coming down to get some info from her puter (she lives 5 mins away) and she sms'd back that she is back on line, though she has no idea why!

So thank you for taking the time to help but apparently it's ok for now, but I have bookmarked this so if it happens again, I will know what info to provide for starters.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You
Belinda