Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

.exe to setup printer on multiple pc's?

• Please log in to reply

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
basically is there away i can create a file that can be run on each computer adding a shared network printer thats connected to one pc to be installed?

i.e computer has a usb printer that is shared across a network (domain) is there a way i can have a run once file that sets it up on the other computers it needs to be installed on?

Many thanks

Josh

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how large is your domain? what OS are your DCs? i'm asking because you often have a lot of domain related questions and i've got a few suggestions for some of the management

i use a product called Desktop Authority by Scriptlogic. it's basically a script generator. you can map drives, map printers, install software, modify the registry, basically anything you can think of from one package. you can do it at logon or whenever. i use it to map printers in my domain. it's pretty easy to set up and use. it's not "cheap" but it's also not the most expensive software that i own.

if your DCs are running server 2008, it's my understanding that a lot of the drive/printer mapping functionality has been rolled up into the AD templates now.

IF you're just wanting to run a script.

you can use the net use command (like mapping network drives)

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
yes i know i do seem to ask a lot of questions about domains, haha!

The thing is i do not run the domains or even work for the IT centre here, its a part time job for me, being employed by one of the research groups to sort of a few IT problems of theirs.

The problem is rebuilt a few of the pc's including the one the printer was attached to.
Before hand the printer was networked to every pc in the lab as the default printer. I now can't replicate this as it has to be setup for each individual user who log's on (accounts are controlled by the domain)

I have Administrator LOCAL access to all the pc's but i can not attach the printer this way as it will not find it in the directory. The only way to find it is by being logged in to an account on the domain.

Do you know why this is at all?

Sorry my previous question did not explain much!

Josh

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you should be able to map a printer without being on the domain....of course y ou'd only be able to map it as the local admin user and not the domain user that's logged on.

if the place has an IT group, why aren't they handeling this? it's a pretty simple setup on their end

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
because they're pretty useless here :)
its taken them 3 weeks to rebuild one computer in the space of time ive done the rest.

anyway, i have managed to figure it i think.

i read somewhere about creating a .bat file and then looked up the commands and this has to seemed to work
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /n\\%printername%

then setting it as a script to run at logon!

Fingers crossed this holds out.
And if you know anything about it, is there something i could use like this to map a network drive for everyone who logs on?

Spud