Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rogue Security Tool

• Please log in to reply

pjgoodman2

pjgoodman2

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I recently posted this in here and was contacted and offered help by Mitch8, however I was away from my computer for a time and the topic was closed....can we try this again? Thanks.

I recently had what was an apparently infected update from Firefox pop up on my screen, so I checked to download the update......instead I got a rogue security tool that gave me fits until I was able to remove it with Malwarebytes in safe mode. All of it except this part:

Files Infected: (C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Security Tool.LNK (Rogue.SecurityTool) -> Delete on reboot.)

It apprears everytime I run Malwarebytes but never when I run it in safe mode.....and none of my other malware/virus/spyware programs detect it. It's not bothersome as the pop ups, and other problems malware causes don't seem to be present, but I'd like to get this last little trace of it out of my system. Can someone help me with this?

It apparently does not get deleted on reboot because it's still there when I run my weekly scan....

Thanks!

Advertisements