Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Applying update operation 50 of 50

• Please log in to reply

st mabon

st mabon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Switching on the PC next day after an automatic windows update shut down the Pc, I received "Applying update operation 50 of 50 (\Registry\machine\COMPONENTS\...)
I switched off the power after some 30 minutes and it rebooted using the recovery system. All appeared well.
However, this morning I received the same error message and went through the same procedure.
Any ideas please?

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
System Restore

st mabon

st mabon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks diabillic, but it looks like I will have to use System Restore each time I switch on. Is there no other alternative?
Kindest regards.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
An update could have just bombed out and it will install just fine the next time.

If it does the same thing a 2nd time, do the following from the command line:

net stop wuauserv
ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.OLD
net start wuauserv
exit

Those command stop the update service, rename the download cache and restart it essentially clearing it out. Please let me know if this works.

Edited by diabillic, 27 August 2010 - 02:49 PM.

st mabon

st mabon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I checked the Windows Update History and saw that the problem update was KB982110. The update apparently needs a re-boot to take effect and of course with the automatic updates this is not possible because the PC switches itself off.I have now manually updated and re-booted and all is well.

Very many thanks for your help.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
:)