Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Add/Remove Program doesn't work for Studio 10

• Please log in to reply

JohnnyDoodle

JohnnyDoodle

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
My son installed a bootlegged copy of Pinnacle's Studio 10 (video editing program) on our computer. I am fearful about bootlegged programs containing viruses, so I want to uninstall it. The Add/Remove program in the Control Panel will not remove the program - I get am error message stating that my computer doesn't have SP2 installed, and that the computer must have it for Studio 10 to be uninstalled.

But my computer DOES have SP2 installed, as well as SP3. Can I simply delete all the Studio 10 files to get rid of the program? Will that cause a problem? Is there another way to completely uninstall Studio 10?

I am running XP Professional on a Dell Dimension 9100. Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Try Revo Uninstaller

JohnnyDoodle

JohnnyDoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Revo Uninstaller removed Studio 10 from the list of installed programs in the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs list, but it did nothing to all of the actual program folders and files.

Other advice, please?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
What exactly is remaining in the folder? Sometimes temporary and settings files are left behind.

JohnnyDoodle

JohnnyDoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Evidently, part of Revo's routine is to start the targeted program's uninstall file. When that happened, the same error came up as when I did it (must have SP2 installed). Revo then continued with its remaining steps without incident. Then when I checked how effectively it had removed everything, only the listing for Studio 10 in the Add/Remove list was gone. The Studio 10 folder is still in Program Files, and that folder has at least 10 folders, many of which have multiple subfolders. There are also several executable files in the Studi0 10 folder. When I did a registry check, literally hundreds of entries had references to Studio 10.

I tried to manually delete all those folders, but I received an error message about one dll that could not be deleted, and the deletion was aborted. Just this morning I tried to delete all those folders and files again, and it worked. I don't know, maybe I have screwed something up that will raise its ugly head later?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I wouldn't force it any further. Leave it as is. If you worry about malware, run your updated antivirus and a good antispyware like Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware.