Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop display issue

• Please log in to reply

tcrail

tcrail

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My Toshiba Satellite suddenly has a 2 inch wide band on the right side of the screen that went into dark colored vertical lines and now just flat white. It covers over that side of the desktop, taskbar or whatever window is open even the cursor disappears there. I did a shutdown and reboot but Windows XP wouldn't complete the process with several tries. I figured the hard drive was going bad. I tried later and finally got booted up, but the white band is still there. I downloaded and ran 2 different HD test programs but they indicated no problems. Everything else seems to work ok although visuals are limited to about the left 80% of the screen. I now put the laptop into hibernation instead of shut down. Anyone out there have any solutions?

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit tcrail?

It sounds more like the LCD screen or its signal cable. Try to hook up to an external monitor and see if the white band shows up. I'll bet that display will be fine. Bad news is that LCD's on notebooks are not cheap to replace..

Hope this helps..

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
I would also be concerned about...

I did a shutdown and reboot but Windows XP wouldn't complete the process with several tries

It could be an indication of something else going OR totally unrelated.

Try a external monitor as suggested and then we can go from there.

What HD test programs did you use?

tcrail

tcrail

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Test programs, HardDriveHealth and DiskMD d/l from the PC World website. Could TV serve as the monitor, connected with the S-Video cable?

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Your toshiba has a 15 pin VGA port which would be a better indication of your notebook's video system health. Have you tried a Safe Mode start?, (Press F8 before the Windows XP appears, choose the Safe mode start from the start up menu...

tcrail

tcrail

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The VGA connector is something I don't have, or for that matter - another monitor. I'll try safe mode the next time I do a restart, after seeing if and how it boots first.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

Check out this website with a question about an LCD screen that has similar symptoms to yours...

laptopfreak

The safe mode start should still have the display problem. If you don't move around with the notebook, your best bet maybe to get a normal CRT or LCD screen and attach it to your VGA port.

tcrail

tcrail

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I connected the TV and got the full window view. Reading the laptopfreak site, I'm convinced my LCD screen is going bad. Since this Satellite laptop is about 5 years old, I may as well go new. Thanks to those who answered my questions.
T C