Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD during large file transfers

• Please log in to reply

Kib

Kib

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I recently purchased a shiny new Seagate Barracuda 1.5Tb HDD, and have been having a somewhat strange problem with it. If I try to transfer a file larger than approx 1Gb, I get the BSOD. The error messages 0x000000F4, 0x00000003, 0x89FE5748, 0x89FE58BC and 0x805D2954 have been appearing, but I'm only able to find information on the first two and last one, none of which has been terribly helpful. Transferring data to my primary drive (an older WD 300Gb unit) is fine, including copying large files from the Seagate drive, or another small external drive that I've been using, to my primary HDD. The problem seems to relate specifically to large files, as I am able to transfer small folders from within the large one, one at a time, and it works fine. I tested the drive in a friend's comp and transferred over 300gb of media without issue. I updated the BIOS to Asus 2205 (from 0706), but the MOBO didn't seem to like that, so I went back a step to 2001, which seems to be working fine, excepting the existing issue. I've done a lot of reading about similar problems online, and none of them seem to apply to me, so I'm at a bit of a loss. I am also a little concerned that something has fried in my MOBO when my power supply blew almost a year ago. For the most part, however, it has been working fine so the only possible issue I see there is if it fried something in the bus, making it incapable of handling large file loads. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Note: I've also been unable to transfer data (any amount) TO the external drive, which is an IDE drive in an enclosure, connected through USB. Not sure if that has any relevance or not, that drive is old enough that it is very possible it's simply failing.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
Hi Kib :)
Did you format the new HDD before you started copying to it & what speed is it, 5400, 7200 or 10000rpm
Here is a link to burstcopy which will speed up your file transfer rate, it is only a 30 day trial but it is
worth trying to see if it improves things. http://www.burstcopy.com/download/
Another possible cause could be your Ram, how much do you have installed and what are its specs.
Download and run Memtest86+ from here http://www.memtest.org/ and you can find a guide for using the
programme here http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/

Edited by phillpower2, 28 August 2010 - 10:31 AM.

Kib

Kib

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply. The HDD is a 7200, and I have 2x 1gb of DDR2 533 ram. I may try burstcopy later, but as the problem is mainly one of stability, not transfer *speed*, I'm going to keep working at that first. I did a quick format before I first started using the drive, and tried to do a full format later after the problems started, which resulted in BSOD.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
I would run Memtest now then, do between 5 and 8 passes.
Let us know how this goes.

Kib

Kib

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I ran Memtest, did 8 passes on one stick and 10 on the other, and both came back with 0 errors. Thanks for the continued help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
The Ram appears to be ok then at least.
Other possibilities are the WD HDD having bad sectors/failing on it or the OS having issues, it may be wise to back this
drive up to the new larger one
Try running chkdsk volume:/r, you can find the instructions "how to" at this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Kib

Kib

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I ran a full chkdsk on the WD and it came back fine. For clarity's sake; the WD is my main drive that doesn't appear to be having any problems. I am using it, the Seagate (SG) and a 7gb thumb drive (TD) to check what works and what doesn't. This is what I got:

WD --> SG: Fail
SG --> WD: Fail
WD --> TD: Success
TD --> SG: Success (Which is odd)
SG --> TD: Fail
TD --> WD: Success

This is all using the same 1.87Gb folder. Still at a loss, considering finding a (reliable) way to back everything up so I can wipe the WD, reinstall the OS and start from scratch.

Kib

Kib

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So I may be replacing my current MOBO with an Asus M4A78-E, if I can't figure out what's wrong with this one, because I can get one cheap. Any thoughts as to the merits of this board? Downsides? Worth $70-$80?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
The MB is ok but I am not sure why you are replacing your own just yet :)
How many GB space have you got left on the WD HDD?
You need at least 15% of the HDDs overall capacity free (45GB) or you
will start having problems with the master file table (MFT).
You can google MFT and find a better explanation than I can give
you about what it does and why it is important, so I suggest you check
your available HDD capacity before parting with your cash on a new MB.

Kib

Kib

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My hard drive has always had at least 15% free, and I actually deleted a bunch of files I didn't need anymore, to free up space, after which my computer became more unstable. When it runs chkdsk after it dies it keeps coming up with corrupt files and indexes, more everytime it checks. It no longer starts up fully. I'm going to try to save what I can, and then I'll format it and reinstall windows. If that doesn't work, new MOBO time. Thanks again

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts

I'm going to try to save what I can, and then I'll format it and reinstall windows

Good plan and I hope it works out ok for you.

Gew

Gew

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This is an old topic, but I get similiar BSoD's when I copy one particular file (>1 GiB in size) from my HDD and to a SD card. Other files works good as a charm. Really weird. Too bad you can't do PrtScr's on BSoD, hrhr. Ideas?