Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Good Specs for an 07 laptop?

• Please log in to reply

Kii

Kii

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I've retired my secondary laptop, due to heat issues. But ive been thinking of giving it to a friend. are the specs still "up to par" with current models is what Im curious about, cause if it is I minus well sell it on craigslist or something since I have all the orig documents, box, even headphones. since I found this

HP Pavilion Dv6449us
CPU: AMD Turion x2 TL-68 @2.4ghz (Orig: TL-56 1.8ghz)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GO 6150 SE
RAM: 4GB Corsair DDR2 PC2-6400 (Orig 2GB PC2-3200)
HDD: 500GB WD Caviar Blue @ 5400RPM
Drive: Super Multi / Lightscribe

It doesnt want to run games like Vindictus, & Dragon age without lagging like heck.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
The specs are what they are. Being an 07 model really does not matter if it works. It was not a speed demon back then, and it is not now. And in spite of what notebook makers would like us to believe, because of the inherent limitations all notebooks have at controlling heat, notebooks do not make good game machines. Their compact design does not allow for sufficient cooling, nor are the interiors easily accessable for thorough cleaning of heat trapping dust - which may be your part of your problem with heat now. Has it been professionally cleaned?

Kii

Kii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
It was cleaned twice by the manufacturer when it went in for repairs in 08 & 09. then in march I replaced the CPU & Keyboard, etc. So I removed everything cleaned it out, and applied better thermals, Artic Silver 7.

A temp monitoring program was indicating the gpu running around 200~220f idling. which I believe due to the amount of heat. The bottom of the laptop got so hot you couldnt put it on your lap for more then a few seconds, and the touchpad became extremely warm. I can only think it was a flaw in the design . I have another spare laptop with the orig specs from gateway that had a copper heatsink right on the side & it got extremely hot there, but nowhere else.

Edited by Kii, 28 August 2010 - 05:02 PM.