Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

first time computer build

• Please log in to reply

BSCrossland

BSCrossland

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i am a college student with a small budget. but i am willing to pay a bit extra for that better part. how does all this look?
video card
Sound Card
Case
MOBO
CPU
Hard Drive
DVD Drive

any recommendations for the screen and ram?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I recommend at least 4Gb of RAM. And since that motherboard supports dual channel, get your RAM in pairs. So get 2x2Gb or 4x1, or 4x2 for 8Gb.

You don't have an operating system listed. Understand you cannot use a copy of Windows if it came with another computer. You must by a new license and I recommend Windows 7 64-bit. Note that as a student, you should be able to get a decent discount through the bookstore. Same with Office.

You say you are on a small budget but you have a sound card listed. Why? That motherboard has decent 7.1 sound built in and unless you have serious, high-end speakers, it is not likely you will hear any significant difference with that card.

That motherboard also has built in graphics so again, why buy a separate card?

Finally, I don't see a power supply. You need a good PSU to ensure stability. I like Antec, Corsair, and Mushkin. The size needs to be determined after you select your hardware.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is the exact case I bought for my new system and I can verify it does not have a PSU included. You will need to purchase that separate.
Since the mobo has both analog and digital capability for the video I agree no need for a separate video card unless you are doing very intensive graphics programs.
Memory 4 gigs is good for the average user and with Win 7 64 bit you will be able to utilize all 4 gigs.
Dump the Sound Card as suggested
HD should be enough so thats a keeper
DVD drive is good also
Dropping the SC and VC will save you about 110.00 USD which should get you a decent PSU.

BSCrossland

BSCrossland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks. So the base vid card is good for regular internet games? Like d&d? And any monitor recomendations? Sorry for all the questions

BSCrossland

BSCrossland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Oh yeah and i Am getting win 7

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
There are too many out there and the model numbers change every few seconds, or so it seems. I like Samsung and ViewSonic. I recommend 22" widescreen or larger. I also like monitors that tilt, pivot, and have adjustable height. The adjustable height feature, however, is hard to find.

You did not mention speakers. If you don't have any, some monitors have speakers, though they aren't any good for serious music listening, they are better than nothing.

BSCrossland

BSCrossland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ihave some really good speakers with a subwoofer :)

BSCrossland

BSCrossland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks very much guys for your time and knowlege.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and please let us know if you have any other questions.
Let us know how everything turns out for you.
FYI you can take a look at this topic HERE which will help you in the assembly of your new system. Very good instructions and lots of pics for each step along the way.
:) :) :) :)

BSCrossland

BSCrossland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Will do thanks again. I expect to buy it by the end of the month