Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Powering Itself Down

• Please log in to reply

wolfxero

wolfxero

• Pip
  • 4 posts
At first, my computer wouldn't even go through POST, but I reset my BIOS and it goes through POST fine.

The current problem I am having is that after a little bit of runtime my computer will shut it self off. This seems to be a power issue, but I'm not sure where to start. This only started today and seems to only happen when I run games at the moment.

The first time it happened I was playing Garry's Mod with music and chat running in the background. This is a very small load for my computer to handle and is what I normally do. I opened up Single Player and began moving around normally then my computer shut off.

I reseated everything and checked all cables to make sure they are connected properly then put the computer through the same scenario. It happened again, but I lasted a lot longer in the game than I did before.

Currently, my computer is sitting next to me, up and running with no problems whatsoever. It hasn't shut down for a good hour and is running fine.

So, my biggest question is, is this fixable or will I have to buy a new power supply? This hasn't happened before and I don't know why it's doing it now.

Computer Specifications:
nVidia nForce 680i SLI motherboard;
2 GB of DDR2 800mhz Ram;
nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS video card;
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.67GHz, 3.3 Overclockable;

PSU: Max Output: 550W
Output: +3.3v +5v +12v -12v -5v -5v5b
Max Amperage: 30A 38A 25A 0.8A 0.5A 2A
AC Input: 100v-127v/6A 60Hz
240v-240v/3A 5Hz

I hope that's enough information.

Edit: Happened again on a different game, I'm thinking that it may be the video card and/or the video card not getting enough power.

Edit: Turned on my computer again and it turned itself off just after POST.

Was suggested by a staff member to post here.

Edited by wolfxero, 28 August 2010 - 09:16 AM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

I reseated everything and checked all cables to make sure they are connected properly

The computer is completely shutting off as if turned off by a switch? Just want to make sure it's not trying to reboot too.

Since you were inside the computer how does the cpu fan look is it spinning and no dust build up around it. Because it's possible you're dealing with a heat issue too. Make sure all fans are running.

Did you build this computer or is it Manfactured like Dell or something?

Edited by zep516, 28 August 2010 - 09:52 AM.

wolfxero

wolfxero

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It is custom built, but I purchased it from my friend so I have no warranty or anything.
When the computer is on all fans are running including the CPU fan and there is no dust build-up.
And yes, it is as if somebody went behind my computer and flipped the rocker switch on the PSU, it does not reboot and I checked my BIOS to see. That option is enabled.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
It's a difficult problem to isolate. You could keep the cover off and put a fan by it and see if that helps. That would determine a heat issue. If it runs like that. Keep in mind though the cover / side panel in place is designed to offer the most effective cooling, this is just a troubleshooting technique, The processor fan moves the heat from the processor to the external fan on the case and is exhausted out to the room.

Now if it's shutting down instantly on power up after post, You could take the video card out granted no screen but if the pc stays running with the card out well you get the idea.

The other thing is if you get the thing to stay running you may check the CPU Temp in bios, although it's better to check those in windows with a 3ed party program like speed-fan.

The best way to check a power supply is to replace it. They need to be tested underload with the computer running.

The most likely reason a power supply would shut down like that is that it detects a short circuit, some hardware component asking for to much current. That would usually result in a shut down right away at power up though.

Most processors have a heat sensor and if it see it's over the limit the processor shuts down to avoid damage.

Here is a link on cpu temperature:

http://www.computert...temperature.asp

Edited by zep516, 28 August 2010 - 11:09 AM.

wolfxero

wolfxero

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The thing is I know for a fact that there is know possible way that it's a heat issue. I have 4 fans + the CPU fan inside running on it and it never gets more than luke warm even after running it for days. My only problem is trying to narrow down the problem. Removing the video card the problem still occurred, removing the RAM the problem still occurred, removing both the problem still occurred.

I also know that my 550W is more than enough for what I have in my rig.

Update: Just tested something, the computer remained operable while lying on it's side and case panel open, but the problem occurred shortly after I closed the side panel and lifted it up.

Edited by wolfxero, 28 August 2010 - 11:39 AM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
That might indicate a short circuit. Maybe on the power switch.