Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serious trouble >< Need help!

• Please log in to reply

aleksanderness

aleksanderness

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys I really hope someone can help me out her.

A couple of days ago my pc screen just froze and made all wierd kinda colors and stripes, but a restart was enough to help it. But not anny more. My pc was on working this night whene I woke up the pc had totaly frosen. And the image was all twisted in stripes. Everytime i start the pc now from the beining it has black stripes all over the screen a lot of the text especially before it starts xp the text is impossible to read. Ontop of that I now got the Cmos bios error. Checksum error default loaded. andI can choose between enter bios and continue. Iv did try to reset the pin and take the batterie off. still the same. Im thinkingthat perhaps my screen card is [bleep]d up butI dont hope so. And I still see the screen and everything but with black stripes covering the whole screen it also changes reso to the 640x480 and 4 bit color. I cant change that. Iv tried reinstalling the screen driver also but without anny good. So what to do???? Ill try add a picture of the screen later. sorry for my bad english.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Desktop or laptop?
Have you tried a different monitor regardless of the above question?
That would eliminate the monitor as the problem.
If issue still happens it may be a video card or chip problem depending on if you have a add on card or onboard video.

aleksanderness

aleksanderness

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thx for quikk answear. Its not a laptp and I m certain its not my monitor cuse than i woul be able to change my resolution. Which I cant, and just to be shure I just checkd with another screen. I raelly hope its not my graphic card since I cant pay for a new one now xD I thought of perhaps reinstaling XP on c drive, but Since I get the stripes from the very first screen i see, I dont think that would help which leavs installing/update bios which is the only thing I can think of. If it was my graphic card that was destroyd would I than be able to see something at all? I see every folder and stuff on my screen but black stipes blinking at some places covers the screen.

I got P5ND Asus motherboard with and Nividia 8800GT graphic card. The motherboard dont have an inbuildt graphic card.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this your board HERE?
If so a replacement depending on what you want could be as low as 30USD as seen HERE.

aleksanderness

aleksanderness

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Replacement of motherboard?? I dont think thats neccesary >< Its more likly the graphic card thats damaged?? But think a new bios instalment would help??

wise_noob

wise_noob

• Pip
  • 3 posts
try reseating the video card, or if you have an extra vid card try replacing it.. :)

you can also try reinstalling your graphics driver.

Edited by wise_noob, 28 August 2010 - 10:15 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Rshaffer61 was not referring to replacing the main board. He referenced it so that the OP could verify it was the correct one.
It is also referenced so that we could be sure the OP could get the correct video card. Rshaffer61's gave a link to video cards also.

Everything points to a video card. Try reseating it 1st.

The next thing that needs replacement is the cmos battery.

Ontop of that I now got the Cmos bios error. Checksum error default loaded

The battery is about $4.00 and found pretty much anywhere.

Do not do a bios update. A bios update is only necessary to correct a known problem. Doing it wrong will brick the computer and then the OP will have to buy a new main board.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :) :)