Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

finding files that are different on 2 drives

• Please log in to reply

sagra

sagra

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Can someone please tell me how I can see what files are on one drive and not on a second drive, regardless of what folders the files are in? In other words I want to know what files are anywhere on one drive and that are not anywhere on the second drive....and I need to be able to move those files to the second drive. So far any program I have found will only compare by folder and not by the whole drives in general. Anyone's help with this would be most appreciated. This seems like a function that many people would want, so they could have at least one copy of every file they own (that are spread across multiple external drives) all on one large drive for the sake of archiving. I am using Windows 7. computer is an HP with an AMD Athlon II quad core 630 processor. Thanks in advance for any help. Bob

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what exactly are you trying to accomplish? if you're wanting to have a backup of your system the windows7 backup utility will make an image of your system to the other drive.

you could also get something like Norton ghost or acronis true image to do the same thing. either will make an exact copy of your main drive to any destination that you choose

sagra

sagra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
This is part of a process on one by one taking a group of older external drives, each with hundreds of folders on them and 250,000+ files on them and slowly moving files from all of them, in a process to end up with one much larger drive having at least on copy of every file I own on it. So the following would be on stage of this process: On external drive ONE I have many folders and files. On external drive TWO (the giant drive that will eventually have copies of all files), I have many files and folders on already. I need to find a program or some other way to find (and move) the files that are on drive ONE but that are not on drive TWO. I then want to move them to one large new folder on drive TWO, no matter what type files they are. There may be some files with duplicate names but they will, in most cases, have different sizes or dates on them. The method I use would have to be able to look at those file attributes also (name, size, date). It is not critical that I have copies of every single file end up on drive TWO (this may happen when a file gets overwritten in the process when it DOES happen to have the same name and size as the file overwriting it). My goal is not to end up with any drives synchronized. I just need to end up with VIRTUALLY (almost) every file I own on drive TWO. Each drive has hundreds of folders and maybe 500,000 files on them. All files are media and document files only. I am not working with Drive C. I am using Windows 7 Premium Home. Thank you for any help.