Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error messages upon startup

• Please log in to reply

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :D

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
User returned

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Thanks for opening this back up. :D

I'm attempting to reinstall XP from my disc by using the tutorial link that you provided. The Dell link doesn't work, and when I did a search on Dell's site, I didn't find exactly what I needed, so I just used the general instructiosn in your tutorial.

The screens I'm getting don't match up exactly to the screens in the instructions, so I just want to make sure that I'm choosing the correct options.

I got to the screen about the licensing agreeement and pressed F8 to agree.

The next instruction is different from what I have. It says to select the hard disc and to select "D" to delete partition.

The screen that I have says to select an installaton. The only option I have listed is

C:\WINDOWS "Windows XP Media Center Edition"

My options at the bottom are F3=QUIT R=REPAIR and ESC=Don't Repair

Since I don't want to repair, I choose ESC to continue installing a fresh copy.

Then I get the screen showing existing partitions and unpartitioned space on the computer. It says to select one from the list.

*To set up Windows XP on the selected item, pres Enter.
*To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C
*To Delete the selected partiton, press D.

The partitions listed are as follows:

76317 MB Disc 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

-: Partition1 [FAT] 71 MB ( 62 MB free)
C: Partition2 [NTFS] 71492 MB (42241 MB free)
E: Partition3 [FAT32] 4754 MB ( 4754 MB free)

Is this where I delete a partition? or do I want to install?

Thank you.

Edited by magaggie, 24 January 2011 - 09:29 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Select C: Partition2 [NTFS] 71492 MB (42241 MB free) as the partition to install windows to. As this will replace your current windows. You should get the warning about all data being lost when you do this

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
After I highlight partition C, do I want to press Enter to install Windows or D to delete partition?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Enter to install windows

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
It seems to be stalling out at 96%. Is this something that can be restarted?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes if you reboot it should pick up again where it stopped

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
It got past the 96% and was copying files eventually, but there were many files that could not copy. I kept retrying them and they still wouldn't copy, so I would finally hit "escape" to keep going. It only got to 7%, and I was still skipping a lot of files that wouldn't copy. I thought i'd reboot and start over. When it gets to the copying stage, should I just keep skipping files that won't copy? The warning is that windows may not install properly if the files are skipped.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK when you select C drive to install does it give you the option to format the drive ?

Advertisements

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Yes . I had 3 options, and I chose the one shown in the tutorial link you gave me . I believe it was NTFS. I had restated the install last night . When I got home from work 12+ hours later it had reached 58% of the copying files stage. It's at 61% now, but it did get hung up on one file which I skipped.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
This is a bit weird to be honest, let me know what happens when you get to the end

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
It's taken several hours to move just from 61% to 63%, and I've had to skip several files. I'm wondering if I should keep going this way or toss the thing out the window? :D

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The disc you have is an OEM version of windows ? We may need to do a hard disc check - what is the make of your hard drive ?

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I am not sure. How do I determine that?