Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

locked myself out of my own computer

• Please log in to reply

buffy

buffy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
The server was down, the domain was not available, yet all the computers in the office, except mine, could still be seen on "My network places". I ran the network wizard and after several failed attempts I tried joining a workgroup, after the restart, my computer showed up on the other computers, but I could not log on; it would not accept my password. The administrator logon did not work either, I tried changing my password from another computer and that did not help either. I tried safe mode, disabling the network in bios, but I am totally locked out of my computer. The server is back up now but I am still not able to logon. How do I fix this???

Advertisements

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
maybe try going on safe mode?

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Removed,
The methods you are suggesting for resloving this issue are not support by this site.

Thanks
Don

Edited by don77, 24 May 2005 - 07:08 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Have the IT Department reset your password at the server level!! They can set it to anything and then give you the option to change it immediately!!

Murray

buffy

buffy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
:tazz: Um, I am the IT department. I have reset my password from the server and it works on all the computers but mine. I guess I have joined a nonexistant workgroup in the bermuda trangle. It should have been a domain by the same name, not a workgroup.

I'm going to try the Linux trick, will let you know what happens

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Check the user settings.. Bet it has been changed to log into a workgroup rather than a domain!!

Also, check the logon screen and use the details option.. make sure you are logging onto the domain rather than just the local computer or a workgroup!!

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 24 May 2005 - 07:54 PM.

buffy

buffy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Murray,
I checked the user settings on the server, my account is still a domain member, also checked details option on the logon window, there is no text box for local/domain logons, only two for user name and password. My husband is here now and he is an IT guy too, he has never seen anything like this. None of the CD buring programs here will burn a bootable CD so we are stuck at this stage at the moment.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
When you get to the logon window. press ctrl-alt-delete.. that will bring up the classic view of Windows Logon.. Now chewck that for the Domain Logon!!

Murray

buffy

buffy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Never could get a bootable CD made, tried one of the other "illegal" programs and was not successfull, computer did not recognize it as a bootable floppy, maybe a bad floppy, tried cntrl-alt-del at the logon window but nothing happened, interestly, I had to change keyboards to do that, my original one was a usb, now I'm beginning to think I have virus. Is there a virus that disables a password? Or knocks out devise drivers?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
there are two different passwords--the one on the server is the user password on the domain, and if you were connected to a domain, that would work...it sounds like you left the domain and are trying to use the user password for the domain on the local computer....you need the local administrator password, which will be different.

Who set this up?

You need your local admin password so you can enter the computer, and then join the computer to the domain (and you need a user account that has permission to join the computer to the domain).

Does that make sense to you? If your the IT department, is anything coming back? I assume you probably set this up originally as only a domain machine, and there is no local user account for you, but there must still be one for the local administrator.

Advertisements

buffy

buffy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
gerryf,
I understand everything you are saying. I hired an outside IT guy to help in the server and user setup because it was beyond my knowledge level. He said that I should never log on to local administrator and he deleted all those accounts on all the computers. Or he made a password to it I will never know. I suspect he has been gradually cutting me out of most things here, to the point I can't do anything. I am not as stupid as he thinks I am, and he is paranoid about anyone one else but him being in control. When my husband looks at his setup on the server he says the guy does not know what he is doing. Everyone who has ever looked at the server has ALWAYS said the previous guy did not know what he was doing. Either know one knows what they are doing, or some of them are lying. Job security I guess. I run into the "Fake it till you make it" work ethic much too often.

So back to the local administrator, how can this even be deleted like he said? Or he has locked me out with his own password. I have asked him for every password he has created, but he says there is none that I do not already know. I don't believe him.

I keep trying the suggestions over and over. I have an important database running on my computer that the other computers software have access too, luckily. But if I try to access my hard drive from another computer it asks for a password, and no password I have ever created works. I have never setup the share on my hard drive with a password in the first place but the IT guy could have done it without telling me. We are a small office and no one hides anything from anyone, but he is paranoid about endless securities. I have told him I could not log on earlier this week, and had to leave the office while he was working on it, but he did not get anywhere. I really don't want to involve him if I have too. Not at $75 an hour.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
This is not a healthy situation....a contractor should be hired to do a job, but not be in total control.

You cannot delete THE local administrator account from the computer....though you can rename it...and many suggest you do..I wonder if he did that?

You can log on the server? What group is your user account a member of? Is there a ADMINISTRATOR user on the server? Or did he rename that too (seems he would be consistant)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
This is kind of bugging me....

I know what I would do, but given the nature of this machine (the other PCs need to access it), I am leary about advising because you cannot afford to lose this machine.

The process is simple--login as local admin, join domain, reboot.

If he renamed the account for the local admin, you need that name, if he didn't, you need the password or need to blank it. If it were me, I would bite the bullet and get the idiot in there to do it, then DEMAND that he make you a local admin on the server and all workstations.

suckaf00

suckaf00

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Buffy, get the nt/2000 admin prog from http://dvnt.freeshell.org tools section. this will let you change the admin pwd to whatever you want. once you have admin, you may want to install lc5 so you can check for other accts on the machine, and get the pwds to them as well. this should get you your machine back for good.

buffy

buffy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
gerryf,
I am a member of administrators and domain users. There is an administrator user on the server and it responds to the password that I know. You're right I can't lose this machine it is running the database that runs our agency, it was moved to my machine because of server problems.

I tried the linux program to change the admin password. Everything went exactly as it was supposed to, but it didn't work. I got the same message-"The system could not log you on..." Then I got a new error message "The system has detected an IP address conflict with another system on the network. The local interface has been disabled. More details are available in the system event log."

Oops, the database is no longer available. I'm screwed now. Guess I'll be spending the holiday weekend here.