Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

locked myself out of my own computer

• Please log in to reply

suckaf00

suckaf00

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
One thing I have found when using the linux disk to change the pwd is that sometimes when you CHANGE the pwd, it doesnt work, but always when I have chosen to just DELETE the pwd, it does work. might want to give that a shot.

Advertisements

buffy

buffy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I took the computer home and my husband and I worked on it. We ran the password program again and blanked it, then it came up with a blue screen and said stop - boot inaccessable. We discoverd that the inaccessible disk had a corrupt registry and was not repairable. The workaround was to take a fresh disk and a fresh installation of windows 2000. Following that we made an emergency rescue disk to copy a good registry and startup files. We then replaced the good primany HD with the corrupt HD, then did a repair process with the ER disk which replaced the registry on the corrupt hard drive. We then started up the formally corrupt HD and successfuly logged in as administrator. The clean disk we used is corrupted now!?!. So we ran a virus scan (2nd time) but nothing was found. I used Norton and TrendMicro. We have yet to take it back to the office, join the domain, and log in under my name, but don't expect any problems, fingers will be crossed.

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
you might want to post a HijacThis log, not all virus scans will pick up everyhting on your computer.....

Just a thought :tazz:

Tom

buffy

buffy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Oh of course there were problems, what was I thinking?!? It took a lot of fiddling to get back on the domain. I thought everything was working when I left sunday, but there was mayhem tuesday morning when I arrived at work because the database was not working. I will run hijack this also right now (just discovered that one last week after an employee went on a [bleep] site, still working on his computer when I can)