Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Turns Off with webcam use

• Please log in to reply

boofnia

boofnia

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok so my computer immediately shutts off when i use my webcam for video purposes... its an external logitech fairly new.... my comp info: Sony Vaio 2002 Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHz 2.99 GHz, 2.50 GB of Ram

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit boofnia? and Welcome to GtoG...

Does this happen when you plug in the webcam? Sometimes the plastic inside an USB port will fall away leaving just the metal contacts and when you plug a device in, it will short out the system, (just had a client whose system did this to me with a USB flash drive)... If the port looks sound (all the metal contacts surrounded by plastic), then perhaps it's an older port that's been used and the contacts aren't lining up properly. Remember, USB carries 5V DC and that can cause a lot of damage when it shorts out.

Hope this helps....