Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP, how to reinstall XP on my computer

• Please log in to reply

funiwant

funiwant

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello people, i have been reading some of the posts but am still not quite clear on how to do a complete wipe and reinstall of xp on my computer. first i have an compac presario S4020WM, the original processor and motherboard have been replaced (motherboard twice) currently has a P4 processor and newer hard drive, not sure of make and model, NVIDIA GeForce FX5500 video card, HP dvd740 external dvd drive. i have done a complete back up to an external hard drive. so i think i am ready to wipe and reinstall. now what to do? how about drivers for getting on the internet and other stuff that i have. most of the programs won't be reinstalled. the reason for this is my 'puter is extremely slow and after having the new motherboard installed just doesn't seem to work like it did before, this board has realtek sound card and when i play music or videos, sometimes vid and sound "flicker" or jump. the system start up also doesn't start like it used to and is very slow and recently if i hit "restart" the system stalls at the "intel pentium" screen, when that screen used to just flash and then restart, so now i have to shut down the system and then start it again. sorry this is getting so long. ok, so now what do i do. i do have a windows xp disk (had to purchase due to some program said i didn't have an "official copy of xp" or something like that.

ok, i want to start fresh, i am nervous about doing this but with your help i should be able to get this done relatively pain free. thank you and i am ready when you are. :-)

p.s. i have also run defrag and cleaner, swept for virus and spyware using tips and tricks from this site, so i don't think my problem is there, just too much crap on my system, i think anyway.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Check out the tutorial HERE. Once installed, you will need to go to the motherboard manufacturers website to get the proper drivers.

Also, if your video, sound and or NIC are add-ons, you may need to go the their respective sites to get the drivers.

Murray

funiwant

funiwant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
thanks, Murray. just wondering, it shows xp professional on that page, is there any difference between home edition and professional? also do i need to get the mother board drivers (or others) before i do the reinstall or can it be done after. thanks

funiwant

funiwant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
oops, i see that you said "once installed". thanks

Edited by funiwant, 29 August 2010 - 12:20 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Do XP Home the same way.

Murray

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Once you have the OS up and running then you will do the motherboard drivers. That will get you the network drivers (unless it is a addon card).
If its a addon card we can get that 1st and you will have internet on the comp to get the rest of the stuff.
Keep internet access to a minimum till to have a virus scanner installed.

Normally going to compaq with the model would get you what you want, but with a new board we would need the model of the board. You can look on the board, or there are programs we can run to help.

Let us know when you are ready for more.

funiwant

funiwant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
the mother board is an ASUS P4P800-VM, and there is a disk that came with it so there should be drivers on there right. i do have a laptop computer so i will still be able to access the internet and download drivers and stuff with out connecting the other computer.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

the mother board is an ASUS P4P800-VM, and there is a disk that came with it so there should be drivers on there right

Thats what you will want. It makes it so much easier.

funiwant

funiwant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
ok, the nerves are almost up to doing this, like i mentioned earlier, i did a full back-up using the XP disc, just wondering, i can pick and choose what stuff i want from the back-up, right? and would i use the xp disc to do that, or is there another way to get what i want from the back up. thanks

funiwant

funiwant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
ok, how about my wireless modem, what would i need to do for that? anything, nothing? thanks

funiwant

funiwant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
my cd drive won't read my windows disk, i tried running the windows online trouble shooter and it says it can't read the disk, i put in a different disk and it reads that so i know my cd drive is ok. my external dvd drive can read the installaiton disk, can i use that, or when i press start will the drivers be erased making the external drive not work?

LionsGate

LionsGate

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

ok, the nerves are almost up to doing this, like i mentioned earlier, i did a full back-up using the XP disc, just wondering, i can pick and choose what stuff i want from the back-up, right? and would i use the xp disc to do that, or is there another way to get what i want from the back up. thanks

im no pro. but im fairly sure u it will be file folders u can drag and drop.

ok, how about my wireless modem, what would i need to do for that? anything, nothing? thanks

external modem? my xp pro always finds the internet automatically. i still check the lan settings tho.

my cd drive won't read my windows disk, i tried running the windows online trouble shooter and it says it can't read the disk, i put in a different disk and it reads that so i know my cd drive is ok. my external dvd drive can read the installaiton disk, can i use that, or when i press start will the drivers be erased making the external drive not work?

uhm, im assuming u reformatted the disk or wiped it correct? now your trying to install windows again? u may need to set boot settings to read cd-drive first.

or u talking about your backup cd...

the external drive should be automatically recognized by windows once u plug it in. new hardware icon or look in your computer setting for it and open to view files.

confused cuz u mentioned installation disk with your external drive. i like driver max to backup all my drivers. then just xfer the file to a flashdrive- after reinstall run drivermax again and "install saved drivers" (i think is the command. u can run the program from the jumpdrive to get it going quickly.

works easy to get my vid cards going again. Frustrating when i have to go to their website and dl drivers. meh, just thought id pass on that info to help anyway i can.

funiwant

funiwant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
no, i haven't wiped the hdd yet, just making sure i have all my ducks in a row, so to speak.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

What type of backup did you do with the XP disc?
Usually you back up "my documents", pictures, videos, word documents, etc. You also (usually) export your email settings. Most backups are copy and paste to another hard drive or CD.
If done that way you just copy and paste back.
Where did you put the back up?

funiwant

funiwant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
i used the backup utility on the xp disk, i did a full back up, to my external hard drive, 88.5 GB of info. file: backup.bkf says file type: msbakupfile

Edited by funiwant, 17 October 2010 - 10:35 AM.