Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC fails to boot during POST

• Please log in to reply

xfinisherx

xfinisherx

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello. I having troubles with my PC booting every once in a while. When I turn it on, it seems to work for about 2 seconds, (during this time, the monitor is ON, and no POST screen shows up (AmiBios) and then it starts with 4 short beeps, about 2ms each. After that, it moves to 3 continuous beeps, about 3ms apart, 1 second each. I am not sure what could be causing it.

The solution to this problem is to get a hairdryer, and use it to blow hot air into the CPU (case off) for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. After this, the PC POSTs just fine and boots into Windows. Any idea on a LONG term solution? I am fed up with having to get out the hairdryer every time I want to use the PC.

NOTE- The PC usually does this whenever it has rained in the past 24hours. The PC is about 2 meters or about 7 or 8 feet away from the physical window, under a desk, on a little cart/stand. It has good ventilation,

If you need specs, I will try to get them, however, I am not very positive of what is in this PC other than it runs WINDOWS XP, has 256MB of ram, and has Intel Pentium 4 at 1,9GHz

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Possible problem...
  • 4 short System timer failure
  • Overheating issue.

Since using a blow dryer to blow air into the case seems to work I would suggest checking the fan on the cpu to make sure it is working.