Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wikipedia font problems

• Please log in to reply

chromejael

chromejael

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Basically, the problem I have is this: The Wikipedia font on my IE 8 is screwed up, but when viewing Wikipedia on Firefox at the same time, it's perfectly fine.

I opened up both browsers side-by-side and here's the difference:

Mozilla Firefox

IE 8

This pretty much whittles the problem down to IE 8. But that's as far as I can tell.

Full background story

About a year ago, my fonts started going haywire. I don't remember exactly what changes I made (ie. installing new games/software, changing settings) but something happened alright. Yahoo Mail, Wikipedia, Youtube, my online cinema ticket site, were the websites affected (All using IE 8). Even programs in my laptop were affected, like Yahoo! Messenger. The fonts were bolded and just plain pain-in-the-[bleep] to read.

I found the first solution here (I'm using the same username there as well, Chromejael) : http://forums.cnet.c...orum-w;forums06

As you can read, the first few solutions fixed everything else (Youtube, cinema site, Yahoo! Messenger, Yahoo mail) except Wikipedia. It was still in that irritating compact, slim font.

Finally, the "final-resort" solution worked. It works by completely bypassing all the default fonts, and using one single font, regardless of whether it had the problematic font or not. I wasn't completely satisfied because ALL the sites fonts were changed, but it was all now readable including Wikipedia.

Present day - Today, I decided to reset my IE 8 settings to the brand new default settings or "factory settings" in hopes of making my load times less laggier. I restarted and I saw my old fonts again. It was very nice to see that I can still use my old fonts again (It's alot easier on the eyes compared to the previous Arial All-font-default).

But Wikipedia was still screwed up. With the exact screwed up font from a year ago. I opened up Firefox to see that Wikipedia was working fine.

So at least now, I know it's isolated to the IE 8 browser and not my whole laptop.

Is there a reason as to why this happened in the first place? and why even with the factory setting default, Wikipedia's font is the only font that is screwed up while Firefox is perfectly fine?

Recent Update
Twitter is also affected. The same screwed-up font as Wikipedia.

Edited by chromejael, 01 September 2010 - 02:39 PM.

Advertisements

chromejael

chromejael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I stil have this problem :(