Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot: No POST, Blank screen

• Please log in to reply

Tripod

Tripod

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
As the title states I have a computer that does not want to boot. There are no beeps, the fans run, the disk drive can open and USBs don't receive power. (Are USBs supposed to receive power during boot?)

Firstly I would like to apologize if there has been a similar problem to this, but I could not find it anywhere, I searched everywhere. Secondly I am not a computer expert, but I know some general things.

The computer was running okay, except the PSU was incredibly loud (annoyingly screeching at high frequencies) so I bought a new one and replaced it. It was running fine, I was happy. However a month later, when I connected an exernal hard-drive via USB to the computer it refused to recognise it. Confused, I tried every port, still no recognition. Then it all went downhill, I checked the screen again, the computer was frozen. I restarted the computer.. and this when the problem started. Soon after the computer would not turn on at all, no signs of life at all. I removed the CMOS battery for 24 hours and it was receiving power again, but it still had the same problem as before. I tried replacing things with working parts: PSU, graphics card, RAM, hard-drive (I can't remember if I was brave enough to try replace the processor, last time I tried on my old computer I bent a pin and snapped it as I tried to fix it). Now I'm thinking that the motherboard has been damaged, but I really hope it hasn't.

These are my specs:
Besta 500W PSU
848P Neo-V MSI Motherboard
1.5 GB RAM
3.0 GHz Intel P4 Processor (from memory)

Are there any possible suggestions I can try to fix my computer? I am not going to buy a new mother board for this old computer it is just not worth it, especially if it doesn't fix it.

Are MSI motherboards good? My older computer, the one I'm currently using, has one and a piece on the board seems to have fried and reduced to ash. It is very frustrating as it suffers graphic problems and random freezing, which is driving me insane.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time :)

Edited by Tripod, 31 August 2010 - 12:57 AM.

Advertisements