Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help in logging in to University network

• Please log in to reply

arsonist

arsonist

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hey guys!

I'd like to ask for your advice.
Here's the story:
During the beginning of each semester in our University, there is always a set specific date and time when all of the students can take up their courses. For this semester, it is on monday morning at 9 a.m.
The process is simply to log in to the university server using the given login/password and arrange everything (take up courses, change courses, etc.)
The only thing making this very very difficult is that the servers at our Uni are terrible. This usually results in everyone sitting literally HOURS before they can get their courses. They simply cannot handle the several hundred/thousand students trying to log in at the same time.
Sometimes - when I was VERY lucky - i've managed to get it done in 20 minutes, but it has happened that I was trying to log in for 3 hours straight before I was able to.

Now, to the point:

I want to ask you if there is any advice you could give which MAY help me log in faster? As a layman, maybe I was guessing using several browsers at once or something? I do understand that there is not much I can do, but is there anything that can help?

Short version: need to be able to connect to a server while thousands of others are competing. How can I increase the chance of getting in?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
log in before anyone else, get done picking your classes before people start logging on, and hope for the best.

or bribe one of the schools computer guys

arsonist

arsonist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Well, i'd love to, but the thing is that logging in before everyone else does is exactely the problem.
Here's the thing:
If the system starts at 9:00 a.m., then literally hundreds of students (myself included) are already bombarding the system way earlier to try and log in. You CAN log in earlier, but only start picking up your courses at 9, by which time I usually get a server time-out message or something.
Anything that can help get in before anyone else?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
nope

arsonist

arsonist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts