Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer keeps crashing

• Please log in to reply

Mitoza

Mitoza

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My Windows Explorer crashes when I move a file and after moving do anything(exit WE,hit the back button...).When it crashes the Windows icons dissapear,WE turns off,cursor stays fine but other open applications just continue working after the crash then after some time icons reappear and everything turns normal.I tried everything I could find on internet(defragmenting,cleaning registry...)Help me!!! Thank you in advance.

Edited by Mitoza, 30 August 2010 - 09:52 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If you have the XP CD
Click Start, Run and type "sfc /scannow" without the colons and note space between sfc and /.
You may well be asked to insert the XP CD.
This is system file checker and will not report a result, unless a file is corrupted and cannot be replaced.

The open My computer, right click the hard drive carrying windows, usually C, click Properties, click Tools, click Error Checking, click
check now, click to check the box automatically fix file system errors, click Start, click to agree check on restart.
DO NOT INTERRUPT or use the computer during the check.
Post back when you have done that please.

Mitoza

Mitoza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I did it all except that it didn't ask me for the XP CD.Is that good or bad?Now I encountered another problem.My computer is incredibly slow.Do you maybe have a solution?If you receive a reply in strange time it is because i'm from Croatia(south-east Europe).Thank you!

Edited by Mitoza, 01 September 2010 - 04:42 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Is it still crashing and what was the result of the chkdsk.
Go Control Panel, Administrative functions, event viewer, application, scroll down to Winlogon, double click and check results of chkdsk.
Is it shown as finding errors.

Mitoza

Mitoza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It is still crashing.Chkdsk removed some indexes I think and everything else is OK.In event viewer I see lots of Winlogon informations and everytime I click on one it mentions a shell.I tried some programs for removing shells and it didn't help,it's still crashing.My biggest problem now is that my computer is slower every second.I think that it's the problem in shells.I need your reply A.S.A.P.Thank you.

Mitoza

Mitoza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It is still crashing.Chkdsk removed some indexes I think and everything else is OK.In event viewer I see lots of Winlogon informations and everytime I click on one it mentions a shell.I tried some programs for removing shells and it didn't help,it's still crashing.My biggest problem now is that my computer is slower every second.I think that it's the problem in shells.I need your reply A.S.A.P.Thank you.

Mitoza

Mitoza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I forgot to mention that I recently downloaded some uTorrent content.Maybe the problem is in those files?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go start, programs, accessories, system tools, system restore
Restore My Computer to an earlier time.
Pick a date before this problem and follow instructions.

Mitoza

Mitoza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have done the Disk Cleanup and everything seems to be OK.