Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! My computer is descintegrating!

• Please log in to reply

U_D

U_D

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ok, heres my problem, my computer keeps losing important files, or the links atleast, like the sound recorder. (I use it quite a bit for flash) And I also am not able to defrag anymore. I can open it up, but nothing ever pops up. And I have a LAN set-up and wanna run xbox live thourgh it, but I dont have teh little computer in the thing next to the clock (brain fart!)

Also, is there a way to delete everything on my harddrive but windows?

thank you for helping me guys!

Edited by U_D, 24 May 2005 - 05:31 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if you are truly losing files, then your harddrive is likely developing bad clusters/sectors....if that happens one or two times, it's not a huge deal (well, other than the loss of the file), but once it starts spreading, your drive is dying.

the rest of your questions....you need to be more specific.

You might consider visiting the malware forums, as some of what you said could be malware related.

U_D

U_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
ok, my computer is only about 4 1/2 years old, I'm pretty sure that it isnt dying, but that may be the lack of money talking (hey when your 14 and can only mow lawns... I cant buy a new harddrive ^_^)

Well, thank you its greatly apreciated!

Novell

Novell

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

ok, my computer is only about 4 1/2 years old, I'm pretty sure that it isnt dying, but that may be the lack of money talking (hey when your 14 and can only mow lawns... I cant buy a new harddrive ^_^)

Well, thank you its greatly apreciated!

View Post

You might have a spyware/malware on your computer. Try downloading adaware & microsoft's anti-spyware.

gerry_f could be right though about your hard drive failing. Reformatting your drive might fix the problem too. Try checking for spywares first before you reformat.

After you run both programs, do a disk cleanup and then run defrag.