Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot problem (Checksum [size])

• Please log in to reply

ozzette

ozzette

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I don't even know where to post this problem. Just recently I have developed a problem booting up my computer. Usually it just turns on and off every 30 seconds or so when I attempt to turn it on in the morning, then sometimes it says "1. Analog input". Sometimes I get this checksum [size] error. No number or anything, just checksum [size]. After several attempts I get it going but it seems to be getting worse and now I am afraid to turn it off. I have run the malware and cleaning programs. I tried a restore. I tried starting it differently (msconfig). It only does it when it has been shut off over night. I cannot duplicate the problem by rebooting. I have run out of ideas and wonder if any of you can help me or send me to the place where I could find help. Thanks so much!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Desktop or laptop?

Murray

ozzette

ozzette

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
It is a desktop...Dell Dimension 4600C. Running xp service pack 3. Thanks.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Try replacing the CMOS battery. Once that is done, you will need to boot into BIOS (setup) and set evrything again (Time, boot order, etc).

Murray

ozzette

ozzette

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks so much, Murray. Any kind of software I can do...but I am scared to death to open it up. I guess it will have to go to the shop. Much obliged.

d

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Not a problem.

Murray