Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unexpected shutdown

• Please log in to reply

fckgwrhqq2

fckgwrhqq2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer has started to randomly shut down (no warning or anything) recently and before I go out and do anything, I figured I'd better check in with smarter folks. It's pretty much like any of the other threads concerning random shutdowns, except when I reboot the system my video card absolutely refuses to give a signal until I change out my monitors, which strikes me as fairly odd.

My system is as follows (it's almost 4 years old now, btw. Don't laugh)

MSI K7T Turbo LE
AMD T-BirdC 1333
2 40 gig HDDs (Maxtor and a WD I think)
3 DIMMs of 256 mb PC133 RAM (3 slots on the mobo)
GeForce2 MX400
LG DVD writer
Some soundcard, some NIC, and a floppy drive
whatever 300W PSU I got with the case

When I do get it back on and displaying data, the temperature displayed in the BIOS is ~43C which makes me think it's not an overheat issue, but I can only run the system for a few minutes before it powers off again, whereas if I leave it be overnight I can get an hour or 2 out of it the next morning, which makes me think it is heat.

I've got an old Voodoo3 kicking around, too. Should I change out video card and PSU and maybe removing a DIMM of RAM before going through the hassle of cleaning off and re-applying thermal paste?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

If the cpu was overheating to shutdown temps it would do it quickly even if off for overnight so I would think that it maybe the psu (power supply) that is overheating or just plain faulty so if you do have a extra give it a try first.

Rick

fckgwrhqq2

fckgwrhqq2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
O man was it ever my power supply.

I had a [bleep] of a time getting it unplugged from the motherboard and was actually worried that I might snap the plug off the board when it finally gave. All 4 red wires leading into it had melted their plastic coverings off (the white part of the plug, not the red coating on the wire) and were melted into the motherboard.

Now I need to now dig a bunch of melted plastic off my power plug before I can even hook up my new PSU. O well. Mystery solved.

Thanks for the timely assistance. ;)

edit: I didn't realize the forum would expletive the B from BofH. Since I'm an illegitimate child I'm actually quite amused that you find my totally uncontrollable condition to be offensive enough that it needs censoring. :tazz:

Edited by fckgwrhqq2, 25 May 2005 - 12:56 AM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
your welcome