Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing problem

• Please log in to reply

Eksua

Eksua

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,
I don't quite know if this would be the ideal place to post this, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.
Recently my PSU started literally burning so I replaced it with a new PSU and the nice smell of burning metal was replaced with a gentle cool running odourless power supply. Though since then randomly I've been having some issues like Youtube and Megavideo videos will freeze, which I just assumed was a flash error, so I reinstalled flash and temporarily fixed it, though it kept popping up every now and then.
More recently, my PC has just randomly frozen though applications are still running in the background. It's happened during a few PC games and a few times simply browsing on firefox. Then came a few BSOD. They say something like STOP 0x0000007A (some other memory looking numbers here) if I remember correctly.

Because of the BSOD I got, I was thinking maybe it was a memory issue, so I just sent away for some new RAM, though from the video issues, I'm thinking it might be a video card issue. Then I got to thinking that for all I know it could be a dodgy HDD or heaven forbid, the mobo. If anyone thinks they could share some insight into my problem, I'd appreciate it very much. I don't have the money to build myself a brand new PC to solve what might only require one item being replaced. I'm afraid that when the PSU went, it took something else with it :)

my specs are:

Manufacturer:
MSI
Processor:
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory:
2048MB RAM
Hard Drive:
250 GB + 500 GB slave
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Monitor:
BenQ G700 (Analog)
Sound Card:
Realtek HD Audio output
Speakers/Headphones:
Predator Edifier
Keyboard:
USB Root Hub
Mouse:
USB Root Hub
Operating System:
Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100216-1514)
Motherboard:
MSI 7639 (I think)
PSU:
Corsair TX650w

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
This has happened to me before on a system I was building recently. I would try turning the video card speed down if possible... That resolved my issue. It could be that the now defunct psu fried/screwed something on the system. Look for swollen capacitors, and anything else that would physically look out of the ordinary. I had the same issue thinking it was my ram before too. Try changing spots, or creating a space between rams. Different placements may return positive results.

Good luck