Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pentiun d?

• Please log in to reply

Aero A95

Aero A95

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
i was lookin around googles shopping list and i found a pentium d 960 3.6ghz and i was wondering if the pentium d 3.6ghz was the clock speed of each core or just the speed of the cores together becuse i am thinking of buying it to play crysis better than the celeron 420 i have in mah pc now

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The clock speed is what the entire CPU (all cores) runs at. And that is determined by the CPU's capabilities, and the bus speed of the motherboard. And as long as your motherboard supports the 3.6GHz Dual-Core Pentium D 960 with 2Mb L2 Cache, it will run circles around the 1.6GHz single core Celeron 420 with only 512Mb L2 Cache.

That said, if looking for the best bang for your money, make sure you have a good supply of RAM first. If you already have at least 1Gb, preferably 2Gb or more (especially if using on board graphics), then the CPU is a good upgrade choice.

Finally, when adding hardware, you MUST ensure your power supply can handle the extra load.

Aero A95

Aero A95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
i m not useing onbored gpu im using an geforce 210 512mb pci2 x16 2.0 i need a psu upgrade its only 250 and the gpu wants 300 watt so the psu is first when i go to the market oh and the computer im currenty running is the compaq presario sr5210nx so look that mobo

Edited by Aero A95, 01 September 2010 - 08:43 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

so the psu is first when i go to the market

Good!

Well, I don't see on the Compaq/HP page for a list of supported CPUs. I still think the D960 will work, but you might want to send a note to Compaq tech support to be sure.

Aero A95

Aero A95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

The clock speed is what the entire CPU (all cores) runs at. And that is determined by the CPU's capabilities, and the bus speed of the motherboard. And as long as your motherboard supports the 3.6GHz Dual-Core Pentium D 960 with 2Mb L2 Cache, it will run circles around the 1.6GHz single core Celeron 420 with only 512Mb L2 Cache.

That said, if looking for the best bang for your money, make sure you have a good supply of RAM first. If you already have at least 1Gb, preferably 2Gb or more (especially if using on board graphics), then the CPU is a good upgrade choice.

Finally, when adding hardware, you MUST ensure your power supply can handle the extra load.

http://h10025.www1.h...product=3548181

thats the motherboreds specs

Aero A95

Aero A95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
crap quated the wrong one :) uhhh x4

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If that board is yours, it says it supports Pentium D (Presler) up to 960 (3.6 GHz).

Aero A95

Aero A95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
i know but i was asking if the cpu clock speed was for the combined core or seprate

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, that was answered long ago.