Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Aftermarket heatsink that will not block dimm slots?

• Please log in to reply

adanniels

adanniels

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hello everyone,
I have been building a computer now with an amd phenom ii x4 and well was wonering if there is a good heatsink that doesn't block the dim slots?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

I have recently installed and recommend the Aywun R1-V8 cooler, $49AUD. Best in ATX case.

Done some tests, post > http://www.geekstogo..._1#entry1891442

adanniels

adanniels

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
well after ebaying, amazon, newegg, and couldn't find it here in the U.S. I am looking at the Scythe Katana 3. I have an antec 1200 case so i think it would fit well especially if i turned the fan facing upward toward the big boy 200mm fan. what do you think?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Looked at some reviews and seems to be a decent cooler for the price though at top speed it may be a little loud. Make sure to use a good TM paste, ei arctive silver, and just enough to do the job also not forget to connect the fan.

Let us know how you get on.

adanniels

adanniels

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
well after reading around I have had some users tell me it actually heated there system up instead of cooled it. does that mean i should look for a different cooler, or they are using way to much thermo grease?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Yes, to much paste, attached the fan the wrong way round or even feiled to connect or connected to the wrong fan header.

Go to > http://www.rwlabs.co...83&pagenumber=6 where good tests are done.

Another, better, computer I have has the Noctua NH-U12 SE, excellent mounting system, great cooler.

You would get a different view from someone else, It can be a little shot in the dark at time but sticking to the better known brands won't be a disaster.

adanniels

adanniels

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
you said "connect the fan the wrong way round" by this do you mean orienting the entire heatsink wrong? for expample, I am wanting to mount it where the fan is slanted to the back of the case so that the opening from the slanted fan is hopefully not blocking the dimm slots.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sorry I was not clear.

No, not orienting the entire heatsink wrong but the fan itself.

On tower coolers the fan clips on after you install the heatsink and must face in the direction indicated on that particular cooler.

Is that OK?

adanniels

adanniels

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
oh no that is perfectly okay. I am actually planning on replacing the fan with the blue antec fans. My computer is decked out with blue led fans.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Have you decided on which CPU cooler you are going to use.

Advertisements

adanniels

adanniels

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Well I'm leaning toward the scythe but right now my budget is pretty tight so I have time to decide. Right now with the stock cooler the CPU stays around 50 while being in the 40's idle and on the 60's when running video intense games

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
those temps sound about normal for a stock cooler.

Have you installed any extra case fans yet?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I have the Antec 1200 case... and I am using the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, there is a slightly different model to suit AMD. It may not be the best but I've been very happy with performance for the price. If you have overheight RAM (i.e. tall heatsinks on the RAM modules) then it will not do because the fan attaches and just hangs over the first slot. Otherwise if you have standard height RAM it works like a charm.

Replacing RAM modules is easy because it is a very simple clip-on clip-off process to attach the fan to the heatsink, so it takes an extra two seconds to take the fan off and then full access to all RAM slots.

So it will depend on the RAM you have and also the motherboard you have as well, as RAM slots vary in location as well.

adanniels

adanniels

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
well i am using corsair XMS3. are those considered tall ram cards or short?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Link to exact ones? They have both styles