Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

firefox/msiexec.exe using 100% CPU, also chrome script problems

• Please log in to reply

Estee

Estee

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Hello all,

My computer has been really slow for a couple weeks. I have noticed 100% CPU usage in Task Manager that is either firefox or msiexec.exe using up CPU.

Also, I sometimes have trouble loading pages with a lot of graphics (emails or shopping sites) and get the following error:

"A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: chrome://xulcache/content/overlay.xul:48"

I uninstalled Google Chrome a while ago and do not see it in Add/Remove programs or in Revo uninstaller.

I think the problems MAY have started when I tried to run a movie sent to me by a friend. It couldn't load, so I stopped it, but now I also (infrequently) get an error saying that Adobe is having problems loading the movie, when I am not trying to run any movie.

I had posted this question in Malware but it was suggested to me that it may be a software problem, so I am posting here.

Thank you! Geeks to Go is amazing!

-Estee

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Estee,

Did the scans that you mentioned here find anything? If not, please try this:

Click 'Start' >> 'Run'.

In Run type services.msc and click OK.

In Services look for Windows Installer and double click on it to open 'Properties'.

In the 'General' tab under 'Startup type' set to 'Manual' and stop the service Click on the 'Recovery' tab and set all failures to 'Take no action'. Click 'Apply', 'OK'.

By setting the installer 'Startup type' to manual, Windows Installer will only start when it is needed.

Please, keep us informed to your status.

Donna :)

Estee

Estee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Thank you, Donna, for your speedy reply.

The malware checks all came in clean.

I went to Windows Installer but the settings were already on the ones you suggested. Any ideas?

--And, I just went to go put a puzzled smiley on, and I again got the error "Warning: Unresponsive Script" with "A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.
Script: chrome://xulcache/content/overlay.xul:48"

!!!

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Estee,

An add-on in Firefox may be causing this error. Please try to enter safe mode in Firefox.

Do not confuse this with safe mode in Windows....not the same.

Please see the link to enter safe mode in Firefox.

http://support.mozil...ox_in_Safe_Mode

Place a check in Disable all add-ons:

The add-on in question is the xul cache add-on.

Is it installed on your computer?

Let me know what happens! :)

Estee

Estee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Wow, I'm in safe mode right now and my computer is flying! It has been crawling so slowly I forgot how fast a page can load!

How can I tell which add-ons I have? I didn't see a list.

Thanks!

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Wow, I'm in safe mode right now and my computer is flying!

:)

Did you click on Disable all add-ons? Click on Make Changes and Restart. See what happens!

To find all your add-ons, click on Tools in your browser, navigate to Add-Ons and click.

Edited by DonnaB, 31 August 2010 - 10:43 AM.

Estee

Estee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Yes, I had disabled add-ons but had clicked "continue in safe mode." So now I just did it the way you said to-- disabled add-ons and clicked to make changes and restart.

I do see the xul cache add on. What do I do now?

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Good job! :)

Now, leave the xul cache add on disabled. Then enable the others one at a time. If you encounter an error or slow issue, go back and disable/uninstall that particular one which caused the error.

If you have no more issues...then completely uninstall the xul cache add on. That's most likely the culprit!

Please! Let me know how it goes!

:) Donna

Edited by DonnaB, 31 August 2010 - 11:12 AM.

Estee

Estee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
OK, sounds good! I'll give each add-on a bit of time to make sure there are no errors with it before trying the next. So I figure (or rather, I hope!) that my next reply will be in a few days.

I'll let you know!

Thanks!

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Great! Giving each add-on a little time is a good idea. We don't really use each and every add-on on a regular basis anyhow.

Good Luck Estee!

Donna :)

Estee

Estee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
So far, so good! My computer is working as it hasn't in months. I'm so happy! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Donna!!! :)

Is there any reason to enable the add-ons that I have disabled, but do not seem to be affecting anything I'm doing? For example, I see things like "Windows Media Player Plug In Dynamic Link Library" and "Real Jukebox NS Plugin" and "Shockwave for Director"-- I have no idea what these are and have not enabled them and everything's going well.

Edited by Estee, 03 September 2010 - 01:26 PM.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Great news Estee :) .....nice one DONNAB :)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Estee,

That's great to hear! You're very welcome! Have you tried to run the movie sent to you by your friend? If you don't mind me being nosy, from what source did you receive this movie? I ask about the movie source just to make sure that the below add-ons weren't installed from the movie that was sent to you by your friend. If it were a burnt copy, anything could have been there just waiting to be installed onto your computer.

From my understanding the Windows Media Player Plug In Dynamic Link Library, may have been installed when you chose to view or listen to a media file on the internet. Not quite sure to tell the truth.

Real Jukebox NS Plugin, is a component from the software RealOne Player Version Plugin by RealNetworks, Inc.. and found under the directory "Netscape6", which is an Internet Suite that dates back to 2002.

Shockwave for Director, which allows Web playback of movies created in Macromedia's Director application--opened the doors for developers to take their expertise in Director (and its scripting language, Lingo) to the Web platform. Macromedia was acquired by Adobe in December of 2005.

Is this an older computer? And have you had this for some time now? These may just be older leftovers from the days of "yore" that you never realized was even there? You may even have a NetScape folder left over if this is the case.

If, none of the above sounds familiar to you, leave them disabled. But I truly see no reason to have these Add-ons if you don't use them and they can be uninstalled.

Please keep me informed if you'd like to look into this further! :)

As posted by deggitt:
.nice one DONNAB :)

Why...thank you! :)

Donna