Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thrashing

• Please log in to reply

Natagora

Natagora

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First off let me apologise if I have put this topic in the wrong place, I know you guys get a lot of queries and the last thing I want to do is to add to the annoyance these questions can provide.

My computer runs on Windows XP with 2GB of RAM, and an AMD 3GHZ processor and has recently started to thrash when I open up big applications - mainly games.

I have some knowledge of thrashing but this case is worrying me as the games I am trying to run are generally low-key for my machines specifications (as far as I am aware) - Medieval II for instance, and Football Manager are the big hitters even though my RAM should be more than enough to run the game, and maintain it. I am only seriously questioning this because in the past I have run games, or people I know have done so on much less powerful machines without any problem - so why is it happening to my system? The slugishness as a result of the thrashing usually happens around 20-30 minutes after I have started the game, before which the game runs perfectly fine. I have tried running a few tests yet the only negative feedback I have received is of a 60°C CPU which is constant, before, during, and after any thrashing has occurred.

I have ordered an extra 2GB but want to make sure there are no underlying problems which I am covering up since my current spec should have no problems.

If anyone has any information or ideas on how I can solve this problem it would be heavily appreciated.

Kind regards, Dan.

Edited by Natagora, 31 August 2010 - 09:00 AM.

Advertisements