Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

At start up computer seems to scan hard drive for lengthy amount of ti

• Please log in to reply

mrbojos

mrbojos

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok, I wasnt sure were to post this. I think I have a hard drive issue but my problem is at the start up of my operating system. I have a Dell Dimension 3100. It crashed a few months back and I posted some questions on this forum about it. It was suggested that I scan my hard drive with a hard drive diagnostic. I scanned it and the program said I had about 100 errors on the drive. I tried in vain to rescue some stuff off the drive but I eventually reformated.
The only problem I have now with the computer is at the startup the first thing it does is do some sort of scan. The screen is totally black expert for a grey progress bar across the bottom of the screen. It takes 10 to 15 minutes for this scan to finish. When it is done the computer runs fine.
My question is, is my hard drive safe to use now? Is there anyway to stop that scan or is it necessary? I wouldnt worry about it but it takes forever to boot up and I dont want to go through another hard drive failure. Should I just get another hard drive?

Thanks for any help

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Replace the drive.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

I scanned it and the program said I had about 100 errors on the drive

Replace the drive. It will only be a matter of time before it crashes again.