Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

screen goes white and can't do anything about it

• Please log in to reply

glug

glug

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
since a couple of days ago the screen has started just going completely white for not reason whatsoever that I can spot and then I can't do anything with it. If I wait sometimes it comes back, sometimes not. Turning it off doesn't help. Might be a virus - is this the right forum? Can't give any more info as I don't know what else to say.

Thanks

Gaby

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi glug :) sorry to hear you are having this issue.
You need to provide some information about your computer this includes; is
it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or
HP and if it is try to provide the model name or series number, if you can
try and provide this information it will enable others to help you better.

glug

glug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for replying.
Its a Samsung NC10 Netbook. Is that enough?
I know and have worried about the partitioning of the hard drive which I let it do automatically on first use so I have a C: drive and a D: drive split 50/50 and the D: drive never gets used and I wonder whether that's reducing the computer's capacity. I'm hazarding guesses here cos I know very litte about computers.
g

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Two possible causes and a couple of possible fixes, two you can try yourself
by following the advice at this Samsung link;
http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=137278&modelname=NP-NC10&modelcode=&session_id=KpphnfK5hvXsn18gvx7d2Ymb2xt0pM4rMgTRnstpwGyPh9byDFpf!1920101254!1761676348!7501!-1!-428745628!1761676444!7501!-1!1256843681010
This one you may decide to entrust to a Tech! But first if the laptop is still under warranty and it turns out to need dismantling return it as it involves the LCD screen and the ribbon that attaches it to the motherboard.
1. Remove the battery.

2. Peel off the little rubber pads from the four corners of the face of the lid and unscrew the corresponding four screws.

3. Using a pocket knife or similar object, peel the face off the lid. There are places along the top where some sort of adhesive keeps it together. Elsewhere, the are snaps that pop open as you peel the face off. Do not be alarmed.

4. Unscrew the four screws at the base of the LCD panel, freeing the panel from the hinges. Commence handling the LCD panel. Notice where the cable flattens out and adheres to the back of the panel, Have some fun peeling the first inch or so of it off and sticking it back on.

5. Go on and re-insert the battery and fire up your computer. Without any safety precautions, proceed to dork around with the wiring. Once you have confirmed that your problem is solved, find a nice way to lace the wiring into place and screw the LCD panel back on.

6. Continue staring at the computer screen. Turn the brigness up to full blast and have a sandwich. Enjoy the computer. If the problem is still fixed, shut the computer down, remove the battery and screw everything back together.
Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.