Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is my motherboard!

• Please log in to reply

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hello!
My friend is hoping to upgrade his Laptop's processor. I don't know what motherboard he has and he won't let me borrow his computer to check. He dosen't know how to get into his BIOS and I don't know how to explain it to him. Can someone tell me how to find out his motherboard type or could you tell me what it is?

His laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L455-S5975

Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Laptop processors are not very upgradable, if at all, and they're very expensive. Going into the BIOS isn't going to tell him anything so I wouldn't even go there.

The standard processor for this model seems to be a Celeron 900, which runs at 2.2Ghz, though some of these processor types are apparently known to be soldered on the board. If that's the case an upgrade isn't going to happen.

Why does your friend want to upgrade the processor?

Edited by Neil Jones, 01 September 2010 - 03:27 PM.

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
He heard you could upgrade Computers (desktops), so he thought you could do the same with laptops. I did too! So instead of buying a new one he was just going to have me put in a new processor for him.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In theory, you can. Don't expect it to make a massive difference though.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
A few weeks ago I upgraded the processor in a friend's Acer 5315 laptop. He had a Celeron in it that ran pretty shocking and I recently had a customer with a similar laptop that the motherboard had died in it (so he just gave it to me for parts)... but the RAM/CPU was heaps better so we threw it all in and it worked great! Went from pathetic Celeron and 1GB RAM to a nice 2GHz Core 2 Duo and 2GB RAM, the performance difference was amazing. Too bad his battery life more than halved... But he mostly uses it plugged in so he wasn't bothered by that.

So it can be done but you'll have to research and find out what is possible with your friend's exact laptop.