Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

software will not install from zip file

• Please log in to reply

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I have a Lexmark x3350 printer that I had to download the drivers for it from the website and it is a self extracting zip file. Once you have unzipped the file it is supposed to start the install setup process but it doesn't. Instead it opens a notepad page with info in it. Why will it not install and how do I make it work? Please help. This is the only printer I have and I don't have a disk for it so I have to make the downloaded file work. I have included a screen shot of what it looks like after it self extracts. It installs on one pc with Windows XP but it won't install on the other XP machine. Thanks for any help you can give.

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot1.jpg

Advertisements

Asasdasasd

Asasdasasd

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hmmm Kay this is only a guess
But did you try to go into the file and manually installing it?
Another idea, try installing it before pluging in the printer,
or maybe plug in the printer then run it? im outta ideas but did you try this (these) yet?

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Asasdasasd, I tried all the things you listed and I get the same results every time. I just don't understand why after it self extracts it will not run. It just makes so since to me that I get that notepad pop up note when I try to run/install the software. This is not the first time this machine has done this when trying to install software. The last software I tried to install and it did this with, I gave up and returned the software for store credit. Could it have something to do with file association? Maybe it's off or something.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Hi RiffRaffCat75 I used to have a lexmark all in one myself and they can be a pain in the butt to install!!!
Where did you download the drivers from? Try the ones at the link below
http://www.silicongu...ers/device/869/
Leave the printer attached and powered on and uninstall it, do the same with anything else associated with it such as folders and icons etc.
Disconnect the printer>download the drivers and install them>only attach the printers usb cable when prompted to do so, hopefully this will resolve the problem you are having.

Edited by phillpower2, 01 September 2010 - 11:26 AM.