Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Processor overheating

• Please log in to reply

ABCanuck

ABCanuck

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently upgraded my CPU/MB and my processor refuses to run under 47C at idle (under stress it's gone as high as 66C). I've tried applying thermal paste, re-seated the heat sync, nothing seems to work. The processor is an AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE. Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H. Any ideas to get this CPU running at a safe temperature?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi ABCanuck :) sorry to hear you are having this issue.
A possible cause of this could be insufficient case cooling as if you have
not got a good exhaust fan the warm air is just being moved around inside
the case and so does not allow the CPU to cool down, what HS and fan are
you using and how many case fans do you have?
Download and run Speedfan from the attached link http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Take a screenshot and attach it to your next post.
You could try disabling the "auto detect" in Speedfan and set your fans manually.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I would not worry about the 47°C at idle, but the 66°C is a little bit of a concern. 66°C is high, but not panicky levels. I like to keep my temps below 60° so your concern is valid.

Assuming you applied a "proper" layer of TIM (thermal interface material) - that is, as thin as possible while still ensuring full coverage, then I agree completely with phillpower2. Look at your case cooling. You want good front-to-back air flow. I prefer at least one 120mm fan in front drawing cool air in, and one 120mm fan in back (not counting any PSU fans) exhausting hot air out. And most importantly, keep the interior of the case clean of heat trapping dust. I suspect that is not a problem as I assume you ensured the heatsink was clean when you reseated it. Check your wire management - replace any flat ribbon cables (typically found on EIDE and floppy drives) with round cables and try to route cables so they have a minimal impact on that desired front-to-back flow (without putting any strain on any connectors).

If your case does not support adding fans, time to get a new case.