Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SCSI to USB connection?

• Please log in to reply

DaveMajor

DaveMajor

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am running Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

I have been given an elderly slide scanner that i'd love to use (Nikon Coolscan III)with my more modern computer, which doesn't have a SCSI interface.

I have got the SCSI cable for the scanner, and another cable with SCSI on one end and USB on the other, so physically, there is a connection between scanner and motherboard..

I have installed the software that comes with the scanner - BUT the software cannot find the scanner.

Any ideas how i might get the scanner to interface with the computer? or is it a lost cause?

I am a naive user, but I reckon I can follow idiot-level instructions.

Edited by DaveMajor, 01 September 2010 - 10:37 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
wow, that thing's from '98?

http://imaging.nikon...can_3/index.htm

i found this on the nikon site: http://support.nikon...id/116678/sno/2 but that's for XP

i can't find a single reference to Vista for the device, let alone 64bit (the minimum specs for this contraption suggested a minimum of 16mb of ram so i doubt they even thought 64bit was possible)...the earlier link suggests the need for a VERY specific adaptec SCSI controller (usb to scsi isn't as easy as you'd thing)

Edited by dsenette, 01 September 2010 - 11:28 AM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
There is no scsi to USB, you need a card to connect it.