Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need advice/help with choosing RAM and Graphics card

• Please log in to reply

Ruzael

Ruzael

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I'm new here

Recently I got a family members old computer - A HP Pavilion T3510.uk

I intend to upgrade it if possible - Mainly for playing games like oblivion, counter strike source and WoW.

Now, as far as I can tell the system specs are on this link :
http://h10025.www1.h...=c00713619#N881

Now, I can fix software problems and stuff with my computer usually, but when it comes to hardware and upgrades, I'm totally useless

I was wondering if anyone could reccomend suitable RAM chips that I could install ? as far as I know the motherboard is an ASUS PTGD-LA.

Also, if anyone knows a suitable Graphics card that would be compatible with the aforementioned games too.

Thanks for your time!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Hi Ruzael :)
Use the link below to the CrucialUK website and have your system scanned, it will tell you what your best options are, you do not need to purchase from here just write down the information so we can find you the best at the best price which leads me to what is your budget for both the Ram upgrade and the GFX card.
http://www.crucial.c...:20100901184937

Ruzael

Ruzael

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the reply!

Well, I haven't really got a budget set in stone at the moment, but I was feeling somewhere along the lines of £150 -200

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Ok, do the crucial scan for your Ram and let us know the details and we can find
that and the cash thats left we can sort the gfx card.

Ruzael

Ruzael

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright, so the crucial scan says that the PC can take a maximum of 2gb memory, and the kit that it reccomends is two 1gb ram chips for £36

240-pin DIMM DDR2 PC2-5300 memory modules.

Edited by Ruzael, 01 September 2010 - 03:26 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Had a look at the specs of your PC and unless you have ever upgraded the PSU already you will need to do so now if you want to install the sort of GFX card you are after, so bearing that in mind I have found you the following suggestions, Novatech cannot better the price of the Ram from Crucial but as these are only guides you can purchase your parts from anywhere;
GFX card
http://www.novatech....5670di1gd5.html = £93
Ram from Crucial = £36
PSU http://www.novatech....600SXS2-UK.html = £60
Total = £189
The good thing about the GFX card and PSU is should you decide to upgrade you MB in the future you have already got these 2 items to start with.

Ruzael

Ruzael

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks a lot :)
Those parts look great, I'll see about getting them next payday! :)

adanniels

adanniels

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I will give you some sound advice before upgrading your previous computer. You need to pay extra close attention to how it cools. I put a new graphics card in my (fairly new) Dell insprion 570. and it was overheating. I ended up building my own.