Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Time Building

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Ok thanks for the update and we will be here should you need us.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Looks like you are all ready to go.

Here is a link on Geeks, > http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/ < which will give you a good general tutorial for building your rig.

Read through any manuuals that come with your hardware BEFORE starting the build.

Take your time.

Any problems, post, and please let use know how the build turned out.

Good luck.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Exactly that... patience, patience, patience. I remember building my first. I was freaking out haha! I then had some stupid idea that I didn't know what I was doing, and I was going to have to carefully transport it all to a shop and pay $$$ to get it fixed up. So I looked on Geeks to Go (of course) and saw admin was online, I popped him a PM. 2 minutes later he was not showing as online anymore. ;) I went outside to breathe in some fresh air, take a break, came back and had a PM reply (he had got the email and logged back in) telling me that what I was doing was obviously right, just keep going.

And all was sweet! :D

All I have left of that original build is the CPU, PSU, RAM, and floppy drive (yes that's right, floppy drive). They are in my desktop currently and the CPU is probably the next thing to get upgraded. Every other part has been replaced since... it's been an evolution...

skribbz

skribbz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey guys I'm back. I got everything in the other day and started my first attempt at putting everything together. When I finally got everything together and tried to turn it on nothing happened. I looked at it a bit and checked all my wires and even tried switching a few things around, but still nothing ever happens. The only thing I can notice is that when I do press power I notice that the light in the room faintly gets dimmer, but no lights on the computer, no fans, no sounds or anything. I tried some google research and maybe it's my PSU? I wasn't sure, but since you guys have been such a great help before I thought I'd come back and ask.

Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Did you try doing a barebones set-up outside of the case, with only the MB, 1 stick of Ram, Video, Keyboard and the PSU attached? Doing this saves you going through the trouble that you have gone to only for it not to work.
Try another wall socket first, check all internal connections are in securely and in the correct orientation (front panel connections are on the correct MB header pins) remove everyting as described to do a barebones set-up and if you used stand offs for the MB make sure they are in the correct location for the MB or it will short out.
To do the barebones set-up you will need to short out the 2 power switch pins on the MB header to get it to switch on.

skribbz

skribbz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you for the idea. I will give it a try. I wasn't sure how to turn on the computer without the power switch from my case unless I would have done this from the start.

Always always thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
No worries shout if you get stuck.

skribbz

skribbz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I was looking up how to power up the computer by shorting the 2 pins. Is this pretty dangerous and do you know of a guide that could walk me through it?

Also I have this motherboard

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128435

It says it has onboard video, so may I take out the huge video card I bought to do the barebones test?

Edited by skribbz, 18 October 2010 - 07:38 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I was looking up how to power up the computer by shorting the 2 pins. Is this pretty dangerous and do you know of a guide that could walk me through it?

It's not dangerous, look in the manual on the page showing in detail where the F_PANEL or FRONT PANEL placement headers are. These will include power and reset switch, HDD LED light etc. Then just tap the + and - headers (next to each other) for the POWER SWITCH and she should come to life. I've never had any issues with this.

Also I have this motherboard

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128435

It says it has onboard video, so may I take out the huge video card I bought to do the barebones test?

Yes yes and yes. You want as minimum as possible so anything that is not needed can be removed.