Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New motherboard installation -HD not recognized

• Please log in to reply

naut210

naut210

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So my PSU went out and took my mobo with it. I bought a new mobo and have it all hooked up.

Problem I'm encountering is that I can't seem to get this mobo to recognize my old HD. Maybe this is common when installing new mobo because I do think I've heard that your hd is linked to your mobo or something of that nature.

Anyways I was wondering if there was any way at all to be able to save my data from the old drive and still get it to recognize it.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
The problem is most likely due to the Windows installation on the old disk is configured for the old motherboard, including the disk controller on the old board. You really should do full install, or at least a Windows repair.

BUT - Understand that if you "upgraded" your motherboard - that is, you did not replace the motherboard with the original maker's recommended replacement, and if your original Windows license is an OEM license, then that copy of Windows is tied to your old motherboard, and you MUST buy a new Windows license! Note that a new motherboard is considered a new computer, since the motherboard is the heart of the computer - UNLESS the exact same, or the maker's recommended replacement motherboard (if original has been discontinued or superseded) is replaced as part of a "repair" action.

Don't shoot me - I'm just the messenger! But that's the law. OEM, by definition, is tied to the "original hardware" and cannot be transfered to "upgrades".

Now if you have a retail copy of Windows - most people do not - then you can transfer that to your new motherboard.

naut210

naut210

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

The problem is most likely due to the Windows installation on the old disk is configured for the old motherboard, including the disk controller on the old board. You really should do full install, or at least a Windows repair.

BUT - Understand that if you "upgraded" your motherboard - that is, you did not replace the motherboard with the original maker's recommended replacement, and if your original Windows license is an OEM license, then that copy of Windows is tied to your old motherboard, and you MUST buy a new Windows license! Note that a new motherboard is considered a new computer, since the motherboard is the heart of the computer - UNLESS the exact same, or the maker's recommended replacement motherboard (if original has been discontinued or superseded) is replaced as part of a "repair" action.

Don't shoot me - I'm just the messenger! But that's the law. OEM, by definition, is tied to the "original hardware" and cannot be transfered to "upgrades".

Now if you have a retail copy of Windows - most people do not - then you can transfer that to your new motherboard.

I should have said in my original post that this computer is a custom built computer. So I don't think the OEM thing will apply.

The thing that's strange to me is that it doesn't recognize the drive at all. When I boot my computer from USb (I have a windows 7 zip drive that I configured) it brings up the windows installation screen just fine and asks where i want to install it to, but it doesn't bring up the old hard drive. is this because it's tied to my old mobo? or should it at least recognise it?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

I should have said in my original post that this computer is a custom built computer. So I don't think the OEM thing will apply.

Custom built or store bought has nothing to do with it. Most custom builts use OEM Windows, and so the license would certainly be tied to the old motherboard.

Can you see the drive in the BIOS Setup Menu?