Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc hardware is bugged - it cooks my videocard

• Please log in to reply

romtim

romtim

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello, i will now describe my problem.
Around a week ago, i had my pc - core i7 920@2,66ghz, my 6gb 1333mhz ocz ram, my 600 watt ocz power supply (cost alot), and my asus p6t motherboard. I was on windows 7. What happened was, i have had my pc freeze while watching a video (the video continued, the mouse and keyboard unresponsive), i had my pc freeze while playing a NOT DEMANDING game, and i have had several freezes while sitting in msn messenger, icq, and facebook. The last time i had a glitch, was me getting strange artifacts all around my screen, and the blue screen of death while typing in icq messenger to a friend. So i just restarted and boom, i got glitches on my boot screen, i got dots all around bios. my video card was geforce 8800gts 512mb. Generally, thats the problem of the video card, i have tried to clean it (it was very dirty), but it didnt work. So i thought ok... i cooked my card, so i put another one. I took an older one - 7800gt i think, not sure - factory overclocked. It has no fan, just a heatsink, and is pretty lazy to do its job (compared to 8800 gts). It was fine for 1 day. The next day(yesterday) i have had 2 glitches with it - for half a second i had red vertical and horizontal lines, and they were gone straight after, with no impact on performance whatsoever ( i was sitting in facebook at that moment. The next time was while i was again in ICQ messenger, in the evening). I was like... umm.. ok... thats not so bad... But today i had my pc freeze once again in the morning (coinsidence i have said to myself), and then just while sitting in forums again, i have had this terrible color pixel line glitch it f---ed up my desktop and went into reboot. I was like OMG, i poiwered down my pc, my card was hot enough (even tho i didnt use it.) TO NOTICE - i have installed software to monitor my cards temperature, it was always fine like 50-60c idle, 70-80 load. So there was no general problem with it. I was like stunned - after all it seems its not the video card... My processor was checked at prime95, it was running it stable for an hour. I have started a ram test on 1 piece of 2gb, it ran sucessfully. Then i inserted all the pieces, ran ANOTHER test( a completely different one, from a cd REANIMATOR). And it like froze (unresponsive keyboard and mouse), the seconds changed once in 10 seconds, and nothing happened. It had no errors before this bs---. To mention - my vcard was very hot during that moment. I have rearranged my ram sticks, i have defaulted bios, i have checked my voltage on my psu - it was around 12.25v for 12, and just normal for every else. I was like.. ok maybe its fine.. maybe i should go and put a voltage checking program to shutdown the pc if something goes wrong. I loaded windows, and at the login screen it just froze. unresponsive keyboard and mouse. No video glitches however. So i just turned off my pc and now i write this post from another pc.

If its the ram, why does my video card cook (the other one is toasted, finish, caput), this one delivers glitches sometimes in windows.
If its the voltage, why does it show good parameters with multimeter, and in bios? Could be still possible that it delivers high voltages instantly for few seconds - enough to overheat the card and cause video glitches.
If its the video card, why do 2 video cards in a row start glitching and cooking?
If its the motherboard... ? I must be sure on this one to try and claim that its defective.

I have had all this equipment (except for video card) for about 2 months, its all new and shiny. But i got no idea what is wrong and what to do.

Ill however mention some other strange stuff happening since i bought this pc. Some 'click' sound and my pc starting to act more silent (hard drive parking probably), happened during gaming and not only. Some strange windows freeze, and at boot it shows only 2 sticks of ram = 4gb. While i have 3 inserted. Happened 2-3 times. Fixed by restart. If i turn on my volume in windows to max, i can hear some strange noise in my headset while resizing windows and doing some other actions.

SO, i would like to know a possible fix, or your opinions of what's defective. I dont want to cook another video card, and i want to find the defective part of my pc and replace it.

Thanks

Advertisements

romtim

romtim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hello, this gpu does not have a cooler at all. it has a heatsink, thats all. It is Gigabyte gv-nx85t512hp. i get 50-65 idle, 70-85 under full tension.

i have a case fan, a stock cpu fan (its okay, no problems with cpu). I did mem test 86 for all 3 at the same time (where they are) and it finished with 0 errors, and its all fine.

Could it have been an error that i put these fairly old video cards in port PCI Express 2.0 16x (16x)? While i have a port PCI Express 2.0 16x (4x - in which i situated it now).

Edited by romtim, 02 September 2010 - 09:01 AM.