Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Harddrive.Malfunctions

• Please log in to reply

Neokun

Neokun

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I.replaced.my.hard.drive.2.months.ago.with.a.WD.320GB.laptop.2.5inch.internal.It.worked.for.about.2.5.months.and.has.now.given.me.a.disk.read.error.

I.repaired.it.using.a.Windows7.install.disk.and.repair,but.ever.since.I.got.back.up.and.running.everything.freezes.up.and.I.cant.even.load.a.game.of.League.of.Legends.

I've.already.decided.to.buy.a.new.PC.with.my.next.few.checks,feel.free.to.throw.some.advice.my.way.in.that.category.here:
http://www.geekstogo...arketforanewpc/
But.in.the.meantime,is.there.anyway.to.bring.this.PC.back.up.to.speed?

It's.a.Dell.Inspiron.1525.My.error.code.in.BIOS.diagnostics.was.2000-0142,which.I.recognized.from.three.months.ago.when.I.replaced.the.first.drive.as.total.HD.failure.However,there.were.no.symptoms.this.time.so.I.ran.the.repair.and.now.I'm.back.up.and.running.at.about.25%.capacity.I'd.say.

The.computer.will.randomly.shut.down,though.it's.stopped.doing.that.since.last.night.Last.night.on.BIOS.diagnostic.after.hard.drive.repair.I.got.a.different.error.code,one.with.a.0164.in.it.or.a.similar.number,cant.remember.

When.I.do.CHKDSK.I.get.unreadable.segments.in.my.drive.about.six.of.them.

It's.running.better.now.than.it.was.last.night.but.I.still.get.lots.of."Not.Responding".with.Windows.Explorer,Firefox.amd.any.other.programs.I.try.

I.don't.think.malware.has.anything.to.do.with.this,but.the.computer.did.overheat.a.lot.

Advertisements

Neokun

Neokun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I.swapped.the.drive.for.an.old.PS3.40GB.drive.and.it.was.working.perfectly...

Until.it.once.again.shut.down.out.of.nowhere.Makes.me.wonder.if.this.is.even.a.hard.drive.issue.or.another.part.of.my.computer.is.faulty.

I'm.in.unfamiliar.territory.

Mychael

Mychael

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Well as your getting the same sort of symptoms with different HDD's it would have me thinking the trouble is elsewhere. I'm not familier with the model, is this a laptop or a desktop computer?
Overheating can make many strange things happen.

If it's a desktop computer try opening the case to improve ventilation, also check that you CPU fan is running and not clogged with dust.

If it's a laptop, make sure your keeping it on a hard flat surface so it's getting the best airflow it can, people make the mistake of useing them on the bed or couch and obstructing the flow of air which gets them hot and greatly reduces their life.

Edited by Mychael, 03 September 2010 - 06:54 AM.

Neokun

Neokun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
This.is.a.laptop.I.recently.took.a.can.of.compressed.air.to.the.fan.and.blew.out.a.bunch.of.dust.before.replacing.the.drive.

Now.when.it.shuts.down.out.of.nowhere.the.computer.is.cold,not.even.hot.at.all.I.know.these.random.shut.downs.are.no.longer.due.to.overheating.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Being you have tried two hd's with the same results it is highly doubtful it's the hd's.
If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Neokun

Neokun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I.run.the.program.and.my.computer.shuts.down.at.some.point.either.after.the.test.or.during.Both.times.I.ran.it.I.wasnt.present.when.it.shut.off.

Does.the.test.shut.off.the.computer.when.it.ends?Doubtful.

I'm.pretty.sure.the.computer.is.dying.before.the.test.concludes,in.which.case,what.do.I.do.now?

Neokun

Neokun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Also.I.know.this.is.irrelevant.but.I.booted.Memtest.from.a.flash.drive.without.doing.all.that.wierd.stuff.you.mentioned.

I.was.trying.to.use.it.even.before.your.recommendation.because.a.friend.recommended.it.

I.dont.know.what.all.your.steps.are.for,I.can.easily.get.to.BIOS.without.doing.any.of.that.and.Memtest.autoboots.when.I.plug.it.in.toUSB.port.and.start.up.computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it won't run with memtest trying to run then its more of a hardware problem then.
It may be the cpu fan which most newer systems are equipped with overheating protection on the cpu.
It protects the cpu from damage by automatically shutting down the system when the cpu reaches a certain temperature.

Neokun

Neokun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Yes,my.computer.shuts.down.when.it.gets.hot.But.now,whenit.shuts.down,it's.as.cold.as.a.dead.body.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that could be a indication of a damaged CPU from overheating.
Without the system remaining o run it is going to be nearly impossible to do anything.
If you could get to windows long enough to pull the event viewer we might get a ideal what is going on.
The diagnostic you ran and have the error code for indicates a faulty hard drive. If this is right then that would be a cause of your shutdowns also.
Just a ideal but if you remove the hd and then try to run the memtest will it stay running?

Neokun

Neokun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I.attempted.another.diagnostic.and.got.error.code.2000-0333,something.to.do.with.the.graphic.card?This.is.with.the.hard.drive.still.in.Then.the.computer.shut.down.within.minutes.of.turning.it.on,so.I.waited.a.few.hours.and.now.it's.staying.on.a.little.bit.longer.

Honestly.I'm.about.to.go.pawn.this.mother[bleep]ing.thing,I.dont.think.it.will.ever.run.the.same.way.again[but.a.pawn.shop.wont.know.that.and.I.want.to.make.SOMETHING.off.of.this.to.put.towards.a.new.computer]

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sure with the hd malfunctioning then the drivers and stuff are starting to malfunction located on the hd.
Not sure how much a pawn shop will give you but I'm sure they will want you to boot it up to check it.

Neokun

Neokun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
But.it.does.boot.I've.been.using.it.for.about.an.hour.now,no.roblems.It's.when.I.try.to.do.anything.besides.firefox.that.it.does,and.then.continues.to.die[it's.rested.since.this.morning's.shutdowns]

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since it is running then do the following and hopefully we can get some readings.
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

• Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 6 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply