Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD and System Restore no help - Won't boot XP

• Please log in to reply

afn63537

afn63537

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop
xp home sp2 or 3? can't remember
check it registry cleaner was up to date
AVG 8.5 was running but didn't stop infection
using aircard from alltel for internet connection

I think something got in because I was adding another user to my laptop and hadn't gotten the firewall up on that account before going online
Virus/worm issue led to BSOD error just after xp logo screen

safe mode gives BSOD also

Using Dell's xp cd in restore only found one restore folder that's only a couple of days old, so restore still gives BSOD

BSOD error message is

stop: c000021a {fatal system error}
the windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly
with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x00000000)

ran puppy linux from cd and got vital data off of hard drive using thumb drive, but would like to get pc to boot again

I've not been able to find a thread exactly like this, so I thought I'd send you guys a note and see what would be the best way to proceed.

would it be advisable to just do a clean install using that dell recovery disk at this point? I don't know if I would lose any drivers and don't have any other cd with them on it.

what would the benefits be to try and recover the system instead?
thanks for any help

Advertisements