Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD upon startup.

• Please log in to reply

irelandsape

irelandsape

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Recently my laptop had been plagued by numerous scareware viruses. (security tool, resident shield alert, etc) I was pretty satisfied with all the informative/helpful online walkthroughs that helped me get rid of them all. But the other night I rebooted it and it went through that whole "one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency" things. I thought that was all fine and good, that there couldn't be any harm in it, so I let it run through and I noticed it started deleting a ton of stuff.

It finished like it was all hunky dory and it had done me a big favor, then it proceeded through with the start up. The first two loading screens seemed fine enough, but after the windows one I get the blue screen telling me there'd been a FATAL ERROR and that the system had shut down. It restarted again, two loading screens, then the blue screen again. It loops, seemingly forever and ever.

I'm thinking about nuking/reformatting the stupid thing, but from what I understand I need to at least be in Windows to do that? Tapping F8 for Safe Mode only makes the speakers make this awesome bleepety-booping noise.

Those are the Symptoms. Possible Causes? Cures? If worse comes to worst I'll probably just smash it with a hammer until it's this soft powdery dust cloud of what-used-to-be, then invest in a better machine. This is my one computer though (I'm using someone else's laptop at the moment), so I'd be forever grateful for any help or advice. Thanks.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
"One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency" on booting is the standard Windows chkdsk message - HOWEVER you will never see on the genuine chkdsk that "a ton of stuff is being deleted"
INTERRUPTING or STOPPING a disk check once it has started is VERY DANGEROUS, Microsoft specifically warn against it.
What message and on what type of screen ie: colour and any image were these messages displayed and what was displayed when chkdsk finished.

The cause of this message ( the genuine one ) immediately after the boot screen is if it keeps appearing usually bad sectors on the hard drive, meaning it is likely to fail anytime, or a ram fault.

I would take immediate steps to backup any important data by slaving the drive etc.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 September 2010 - 02:49 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
probably deleting orphaned files created by whatever malware you had on your pc.

to do a fresh install, lets find out what kind of machine you have. most newer machines have recoveries built in.

irelandsape

irelandsape

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The deleting a ton of stuff wasn't really a quote, that's just my recollection of what was happening. It did say it was deleting certain "orphaned files" like diabolic said.

I managed to get a pic with my camera phone, the stop code is c000021a. Some other numbers, not quite sure what they mean: 0x0000034.

probably deleting orphaned files created by whatever malware you had on your pc.

to do a fresh install, lets find out what kind of machine you have. most newer machines have recoveries built in.

Toshiba Satellite A105-S2051 (PSAA2U-049018)

And thanks for the fast replies. :)

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
0x21a is caused alot of times by malware. i actually just redid a machine with the same issue. format and reinstall fixed that.

i would also test the memory as well, sometimes that can cause it as well. grab memtest+ from my signature and test out your memory.