Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp repair

• Please log in to reply

JDrewParham

JDrewParham

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
So I need to repair my windows installation. I recently moved and somehow lost my retail version of windows xp. I borrowed a friends disc and proceeded with the repair hoping that I wouldn't need a cd key since it was just repairing a previous installation. Turns out you do need it. So I popped my HD into my friends computer and used magic jellybean to retrieve the cd key from my registry. However, this key does not match his disc and it won't let me proceed. Is there a way that I can fix this? Or maybe even install xp with his cd key and then use a program like magic jellybean to change the product ID and CD Key to my genuine ones once I've got it installed? Thanks a lot to anyone who can help me with this.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
We here at GeeksToGo will not assist you with issues relating to copied, pirated, or in any other way stolen programs. It is a direct violation of our TOS (Terms Of Service) to offer any assistance in this matter. I mention this ONLY to make you aware, just in case, we are not dealing with a geuine installation in the first place.

As the above may NOT cover what you are trying to do, if you are going to change the key to your GENUINE key then follow this advice.
http://www.microsoft...99-651b4896e1f1

If you retrieved or tried to retrieve the key from YOUR registry - WHY would you think it would match HIS disk.
DO YOU HAVE your Product key.
Is there a sticker on the computer case with the COA (Certificate of Authenticty) and product key.
Is your Windows installation working

JDrewParham

JDrewParham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
The sticker for my disk was on the book that it came in. I thought that my product key (that I retrieved from my registry) might work with his disk. I didn't realize they had to match the cd as I have allways had mine until recently.

So this is what I have. I have MY cd key, HIS cd key, and HIS cd. I do not have MY sticker. My windows is not working because I started the repair process and now every time I boot it restarts the setup process. It wasn't working before anyway which is why I tried the repair.

JDrewParham

JDrewParham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
So I did a fresh install with my friends xp cd and then used the windows product key update tool to change the product ID to mine. Everything passed genuine inspection and is working fine! Thanks for pointing me to the tool.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You are welcome and thanks for taking the time to post the reply.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 September 2010 - 04:24 PM.