Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HEEELLLLLLP! FRIED CPU!

• Please log in to reply

benizioni

benizioni

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I Have the following set up in my PC.
Asus a7v266-e
AMD Athlon 1900+
512 ram ddr

Recently my pc kept resetting at random intervals. And now It wont load windows at all without resetting. It will do all the usual start up sequence, detects drives, ram, etc and thats all fine but when the windows loading logo appears it re starts,(XP PRO) However it will start and run fine when I set the CPU to 1200mhz rather than 1600mhz in the bios. Is my CPU or mobo Fried ??? I have tried the following, with no luck.

Bought new heatsink and fan (with compound)
Updated Bios
Tried starting without unnecessary components ( no sound card, only 256 ram, no other pci's etc. )
New HDD

Even when cold it wont start.
Please help!!!!!

Advertisements

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
chec k memory

benizioni

benizioni

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Is there any reason why it works at 1200mhz and not 1600?

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
deps on what you have set the base fre to 133 x12 or 166x10 and so on why not set the bios to defaults setting and see if it boot s

benizioni

benizioni

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have restored bios to defaults and it is still the same, boots at 1200mhz not 1600, very strange.

benizioni

benizioni

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Just tried new ram and still same.

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
think u might have to see if u can borrow cpu from some where just to check only seen that hap a few time but it does